Seeking info on a double barrel (30 inside 55) stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just saw your pics. They weren't showing up last time I looked for some reason. I have to point out that your v is supposed to be in the back of your inner barrel. You want to burn from the front to back. Thats how barrels stoves are designed. The air intake comes in the bottom and the draft draws it from the front burning to the back then up through the outer barrel which should have the collar on the front. With the v in the front of the inner barrel its just going to draft straight up into the outer and out. It may also be difficult to get a good burn going with out a draft across the fire. You did really good work. I just think the implementation is a bit backwards. If it doesn't work well you might try reversing it.

I did it according to the instructions on "end of times " site. The theory is thjat it will burn front to back, the smoke then travels up to the V and between the two bbls to the back of the outer, then out. Thus , as much heat as possible is extracted....I'm not a thermal scientist, so I can't prove or disprove that, but on a test burn I did out side, with a 8 ft stack, when I dumped the ashes, all I had was fly ash....no pieces of partially burnt or burnt wood at all.....You might be right, but as I stated, I followed the instructions here http://www.endtimesreport.com/thermal_mass_wood.html As I say. I love feedback, as that's how things are made better....rsbhunter

ok, looking forward to some pics of the secondary burn. I'm building a double barrel also. Just the traditional way though. I was thinking of burn tubes in it also.

I might have done the double version but, the shed is lean to style (to hold 12 solar panels) 16' high in the rear and 10' in the front, so I put a loft in at 8' height ...Don't know about the heat clearance, so I went the single configuration...rsb

Got to work on the window opening today, between an angle grinder and a sawsall i got the window opening done...here are some pics...Cerama glass should be here Monday....Also insulated the space between the burn tubes.
P3060009.JPG P3060011.JPG P3060010.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice. That door would look good on any stove.

Reactions: GENECOP
Cool beans!

Years ago on the farm we had a double barrel stove ..top+ bottom deal.
We ran it hard to heat a big shop and it would do it!
We never even cleaned the thing come spring and it was over 10 years old when I left there. Same barrels!
There was not even sand in the bottom of it!

RSB you are a craftsman. Good job!

now just grind off the letters "REL" and you've got yourself a BAR STOVE.

Simonkenton,Thank you.......actually, this wasn't' a plan (the window) til some one here said they couldn't wait to see pics of the secondary burn....so I had to come up with a way to film it....it was a fun project....after a test fire, it will be time to take it to the cabin, build a fire pad (hearth) and fill it with sand for mass.....it has really been a learning experience, from welding stainless to cast iron....and my second time ever to weld.....a lot of good experience...rsbhunter

Simonkenton,Thank you.......actually, this wasn't' a plan (the window) til some one here said they couldn't wait to see pics of the secondary burn....so I had to come up with a way to film it....it was a fun project....after a test fire, it will be time to take it to the cabin, build a fire pad (hearth) and fill it with sand for mass.....it has really been a learning experience, from welding stainless to cast iron....and my second time ever to weld.....a lot of good experience...rsbhunter
Stay safe with the cabin install. It will need to be 36" from any combustible surface. A proper, ventilated wall shield can reduce that down to 12".

Yeah, a free-standing hammered copper heat shield is what you want!

I have a tendency to go over board on safety, so I am planning on using every feature I can to keep if safe. Cement board with a heat shield between the stove and wall, still have the clearance....can't be too safe...

I'm planning on enclosing mine in a 3 sided box with roof made with steel studs and tin roofing. Mines goin in the basement.

Last edited:
making any progress?

I did a test fire yesterday, as soon as I got it started, the glass was soot-smoke covered.I could see flames from the secondary tube area, but it wasn't clear enough to take a pic. However, again I had no smoke coming out of the 8' stack I had on it, and the air intakes were only open a half way. There were not alot of flames ,which makes me believe that I did have secondary burn. I made a.cover that is on the inside of the barrel lid to direct the intake air up over the glass. Maybe it will act like an air wash and keep the window clear. Will let you know on the next test burn...rsbhunter

One other thing I noticed, after burning for 5 hours, the back wall o the barrel (bottom) was barely warm to the touch....the 4" of vermiculite and cement is an awesome insulator....Will really be alot safer as to getting the surrounding are to hot..but will still keep safe distances....rsbhunter

Glad youre having success.

I'm hopeful, if I was to do I t again, I would run 2" up to the manifold, or build an oblong box for the secondary....but as I hadn't welded slot up to that point, I we t with what I could figure out.....Will keep you posted...rsbhunter

If I can keep the glass clean with the new air baffle I made, I'll do the pics, if it still craps up, I'll just have to have faith it works, and use it as is. It still heats great, has the cooking plate add on, it will do what I need it to. If this was for the cabin, I might worry, but it's only for the solar shed for me to stay in while I build the cabin....rsbhunter

Status
Not open for further replies.