Seeking Stove Placement Advice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

apostasy_mcgee

Hearth Supporter
Dec 31, 2009
Hudson Valley - NY
Long-time lurker, first time poster.

Before delving in, thanks to the Hearth.com community for all their splendid advice. Reading over these forums the past few months helped me tremendously in deciding what size and model stove would best fit my needs. (The readership here is exponentially better informed that nearly all the stove salespeople I've spoken with.) The first-hand experiences and time-tested truths of this forum's posters were invaluable in my feeling confident making such a major purchase with minimum previous wood-burning experience.

Allow me to describe my home and explain how I decided on the matte black Jøtul Oslo. The house is right off Metro-North's Harlem line in Dutchess County, New York. Built in 1900 with mediocre-by-modern-standards insulation but new efficient windows, it comes in at around 1450 square feet on 1.5 stories. The previous owner told me that he put over 1000 gallons a year through the oil guzzling furnace which is why I hope to heat with wood exclusively. Being a Cape Cod, the floor plan is very divided up which I expect will make moving the heat around more challenging. I plan on using ceiling fans and a blower if necessary along with a rear heatshield and double insulated chimney for close-as-possible clearances.

Deciding on the Oslo was a fairly easy choice. Nearly everyone here agrees that Jøtul makes an excellent product and all you wood-burning sages advised to get a bigger stove than you thought you needed so the Castine wasn't an option, especially considering the lack of quality insulation. I also preferred the simplicity of the non-catalytic design and the seemingly mellower heat produced by cast iron over steel since the room itself is rather small. I'm sure it'll be a fine line between successfully heating the entire house and over-heating the living room itself.

The Oslo is now sitting in my living room which means I'm at the next step of my stove odyssey - where to put it? Truth be told, there are only two potential spots but I wanted to lay out the pros and cons and see if anyone here had any thoughts. (Please see the diagram below.) Spot A seems advantageous because it is closer to the center of the house and would be expected to heat more evenly. With a couple pretty hard 90° turns, the stove chimney might also be able to be run alongside the existing furnace chimney up through the center of the house through the wall that separates the living room and kitchen. Spot B is on an exterior wall so it seems a chimney on the outside would be much easier to construct. That said, the owner's manual states that the Oslo's side door shouldn't be used if it is placed catty-corner which I think would be a huge disadvantage. Perhaps if moved a bit it could stay in that corner parallel to the main wall and the side door could be used?

I still need to have a chimney installation professional come out and advise on placement but I thought that I'd be best served by running the possibilities by the brain trust that gathers here. If there's anything I've not considered about the best practices for placing and operating my new Oslo, please chime in and set me on the right path. Many thanks in advance - I look very forward to considering the collective wisdom of Hearth.com!

Attachments

• House Layout.jpg
    House Layout.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 391
Oslo: Great choice! :)

Can you add an option "C" and back the Oslo install up to the existing chimney in the living room? It would appear it would then be an inside chimney until it exits the upper bedroom ceiling.

Thinking ahead to heat transfer: Is the stairway to the upper level 'open' on the sides?

Shari

To me, placement 'B' makes the most sense. Not as many turns involved getting heat to the other rooms.

I am far from an expert, though.

My first inclination would be to think about the furnace flue. Can the furnace be power vented to free up the chimney? If yes, that is what I'd tap into, assuming the goal to to switch to wood as a primary fuel. If not, my next thought would be to explore running up a class A flue next to the furnace chimney.

Thanks everyone for your prompt replies!

Shari:

I did indeed consider an option C with backing the stove up to the wall containing the existing chimney but felt a large, hot stove so near the door to the kitchen wouldn't be ideal from a safety or mobility standpoint - you'd always have to make it a point to step around the stove. As for the openness of the stairway leading to the top floor, it is not open. That's the biggest problem I see with moving the heat around - each room is small and closed-off. That said, with proper circulation I think I could get a circular air motion that would take the hot air into the master bedroom and kitchen. Another challenge is getting the air upstairs. There is a vent cut through the ceiling of the living room leading to the bedroom above so that will help and with a ceiling fan on the second floor stair landing I hope to be able to entice some of that warm air up via the small staircase opening.

BrowningBAR:

I share your sentiments - spot B seems like it would be best able to push the warm air out the living room door into the bedroom and kick start the circulation of air up into the second level and throughout the rest of the first floor.

BeGreen

I'm not really sure if the furnace can be power vented. To my non-expert eyes, the furnace looks to be over twenty years old (non-insulated metal ductwork, some rust). If power venting is a relatively modern feature then I can pretty much guarantee that this furnace won't have it. Still, the idea of running the stove chimney parallel to the existing furnace chimney does make sense and would be preferable from an aesthetic perspective. That said, I'm not sure if the sharp turns required to do so from spot A would be doable from an efficiency standpoint.

That's all I've got for now - thanks again for everyone's input - please keep it coming!

What's in the kitchen next to the furnace chimney? What about in the LR halfway between the doors (lined up with the wall between the office and kitchen? Either spot may allow an easier install next to the existing chimney.

I think either location would work for you. I was in a similar situation to you in terms of placement . . . in the end the existing second floor construction (trusses running opposite from each other in the floor/ceiling, electrical wiring and plumbing) made the decision easy for me . . . it was easier to go out and up rather than straight up.

Location A: You can legally use the side loading door and you can get a bit more heat off the stove pipe as it goes straight up. Negative: You will have to box in the chimney in Bedroom A losing some space there . . . and may have to do a bit more work to get things lined up. Don't bother with trying to squeeze the pipe up alongside the existing chimney . . . the more turns you put into it = reduced draft plus a place for fly ash and creosote to build up.

Location B: An easier install here, but as mentioned you would technically lose the ability to use the side door if the stove were set in at an angle. Some folks also have reported problems with exterior chimneys and problems with creosote . . . but that said I know Backwoods and myself have insulated Class A chimneys on the outside of the house and have had no issues with draft or creosote. A benefit of an exterior chimney by the way is with the addition of a T you can easily and quickly clean and inspect your chimney without having to get on the roof. A negative would be some folks don't like the look of a shiny metal chimney running up alongside their house.

Me . . . I would probably go with Plan B.

Is there a solid wall between the kitchen and the living room? The drawing looks like the only entry is through a little hallway of doors at the foot of the stairs, is that correct? If so, what if the stove was put on the common wall between the kitchen and LR, near that furnace flue?

As to the stove size, this floorplan looks mostly full of closed-off spaces. That gives me a bit of concern about the LR getting overheated while trying to get heat to the rest of the house. I would seriously look at opening up the kitchen to the LR and possibly removing the two doors there. This would take a support beam to be installed, but done correctly, the effect could be quite nice. It would help with heat circulation.

Here's a just supposing picture of what I am describing.

Attachments

• House Layout.jpg
    House Layout.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 258
KB007 & BeGreen:

The spot you suggested (the wall between the living room and kitchen directly abutting the existing furnace chimney) is one spot I did initially consider but ruled it out because even with the closest possible clearances, it would partially block the door. That door is probably the most used in the entire house so putting a 445 pound box of hot metal there would be problematic.

As for BeGreen's suggestion, that little mini-hallway of doors is indeed the only entry between the living room and kitchen. I'm intrigued by the idea of opening up that area but doing so would be beyond my expertise and current budget. The kitchen side of that wall contains the cooking stove and there's really no other place to move that. I also share the concern about overheating the living room while trying to heat the rest of the house. If I could keep the living room at 75, I'd be okay with the upstairs at 65 with the master bedroom and kitchen at 70. Again, I plan on installing multiple ceiling fans to help with the circulation (living room, master bedroom and upstairs landing.) I'll just have to see how things play out, I suppose.

Firefighterjake:

I share your sentiments - the fewer bends in the pipe, the easier it is on maintenance and safer too. It seems that an exterior chimney up the side of the house will be the path of least resistance but if it wouldn't be too much more hassle and expense to put it on the main interior wall I would definitely consider that route.

Also, what do you all think about the idea of putting the stove in the corner (spot B) but not angling it catty corner so that the side door could be used? Also in that spot, should I be concerned that the stove would be close to the windows? I don't know how to make the wooden window sills safe in that scenario.

Thanks again everyone!

MTD said:
. . . Again, I plan on installing multiple ceiling fans to help with the circulation (living room, master bedroom and upstairs landing.) I'll just have to see how things play out, I suppose. Nix the ceiling fans . . . invest the money in regular, ol' floor fans to move the air from cool spots to warm spots . . . I have a Cape . . . a little more open than your home . . . and use fans to move the air through the home.

Firefighterjake:

I share your sentiments - the fewer bends in the pipe, the easier it is on maintenance and safer too. It seems that an exterior chimney up the side of the house will be the path of least resistance but if it wouldn't be too much more hassle and expense to put it on the main interior wall I would definitely consider that route. Good thinking on both accounts . . . if my house could have accomodated it I would have gone with a straight shot through the roof . . . in retrospect I am glad the chimney was done the way it was . . . things have worked out well for me in my case.

Also, what do you all think about the idea of putting the stove in the corner (spot B) but not angling it catty corner so that the side door could be used? I still favor putting the stove in Spot B . . . and using fans to move the heat around. Seems like it would tend to radiate the heat outwards into this room and with fan placement you could move the heat beyond this room and it would naturally move upstairs. Also in that spot, should I be concerned that the stove would be close to the windows? I don't know how to make the wooden window sills safe in that scenario. Just pay attention to the clearances . . . and be wary of any blinds, curtains, etc. that could inadvertently come in contact with a hot stove.
. . .

Status
Not open for further replies.