Seems strange to see this happening in view of strong stove and pellet sales

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EarlyMan

Jun 7, 2011
Scarborough, Maine
I am always amazed when I read of someone giving an unknown contractor a down payment on a job or paying a deposit of thousands to a vendor on a promise the vendor will obtain the goods. People must not read the news or must be gullible.

A couple hundred dollars should hold a contract until the stove is installed and running. I would never pay full price or even close to it unless the stove was in my possesion or had been installed. Sounds like this stove shop was using the funds to pay for most of their expenses. Having a health issue is why most of us carry or pay for insurance.

Not a new thing. In 2004 I bought two new Jotul wood stoves from a local dealer. They dropped one on my sidewalk delivering it. Busted the front casting. After not hearing anything from them for a while I went over and found a locked door and a bankruptcy notice on it. With the name of my bank on it as the primary creditor. Called my banker and found out that the guy had gone under with tens of thousands of peoples deposits in his pocket.

Since the building owner was on the banks ass to get the stuff out of there or they were going to call a scrap dealer I gave the bank $2,500 for anything with the word "Jotul" on it in the building and then sold the whole mess the next week for $31,000.

And bought that front casting from a dealer that is a hearth.com member for $165 delivered.

Never give anybody anything but a token deposit.

BrotherBart said:
Not a new thing. In 2004 I bought two new Jotul wood stoves from a local dealer. They dropped one on my sidewalk delivering it. Busted the front casting. After not hearing anything from them for a while I went over and found a locked door and a bankruptcy notice on it. With the name of my bank on it as the primary creditor. Called my banker and found out that the guy had gone under with tens of thousands of peoples deposits in his pocket.

Since the building owner was on the banks ass to get the stuff out of there or they were going to call a scrap dealer I gave the bank $2,500 for anything with the word "Jotul" on it in the building and then sold the whole mess the next week for $31,000.

And bought that front casting from a dealer that is a hearth.com member for $165 delivered.

Never give anybody anything but a token deposit.
WOW!! Awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.