Seized engine

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It either is or it ain't. If it runs - run it. The material used in crank bearings on small engines can bind on the smooth surface of the crank with lack of oil. It is possible that it kinda polished itself back off. If that is the case, you probably shortened the life of the engine, but who knows, it could run for a long time.

Reactions: DTrain
Often times the rod has no bearing between it and the crank on these small engines, aluminum directly on cast iron. The only thing between the two is oil, except when it ain't. :p Sometimes there is a little bit of aluminum that galls to the crank, that may be what was jammin things up. Sometimes you can get in there (without complete engine disassemble) to unbolt the rod cap, get a look at things. Sometimes you can just carefully knock any aluminum transfer off the crank with a lil pressure from a screwdriver or something (don't scratch the crank). But often times you have to use muratic acid to eat the aluminum off the crank. The acid will eat the aluminum but not the iron of the crank...

Reactions: DTrain
You sure could be. Nothing really to lose. Could be the crank to rod area that was damaged, or rings. Either way, I'd heat cycle it a few times and run it. Can always toss a hundred dollar HF engine in it, or buy a rebuild kit from Napa. At this point, it's a science experiment, so I say run it!!

Lastly, I'd be using Rotella T6 in this motor and I'd be adding extra ZDDP and Moly in it if you're able. You'll likely need the lubrication.

Reactions: D8Chumley
Status
Not open for further replies.