self sweeping....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

par0thead151

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Jul 26, 2009
south eastern wisconsin
this past weekend i did my first DIY chimney sweep for my enviro venice 1700 insert. i got a half gallon worth of creosote out, so i think i am doing pretty good since last years sweeping(i hired out)
i am wondering how much friction the brush needs to have on the flexible liners to get all the creosote out, or to a safe level...
also what uses are there for the creosote once it is stored/saved?

all in all idk why i was so afraid of cleaning my own chimney as it was very simple and easy once i got over my fear of being up on the chimney. i used a rope and a 15$ brush, so it certainly saves me quite a bit of money doing it myself. I have a straight shot with my liner, so that also makes it easier. I had my wife attach the brush as i dropped the rope from the top down. then pulled the brush to the top....

Well done! You can also buy flexible fiberglass rods to attach the brush to (if your run is not super long), this allows you to push/pull up and down the chimney.
I have never heard of any use for creosote....other that to waterproof telephone poles!

par0thead151 said:
this past weekend i did my first DIY chimney sweep for my enviro venice 1700 insert. i got a half gallon worth of creosote out, so i think i am doing pretty good since last years sweeping(i hired out)
i am wondering how much friction the brush needs to have on the flexible liners to get all the creosote out, or to a safe level...

all in all idk why i was so afraid of cleaning my own chimney as it was very simple and easy once i got over my fear of being up on the chimney. i used a rope and a 15$ brush, so it certainly saves me quite a bit of money doing it myself. I have a straight shot with my liner, so that also makes it easier. I had my wife attach the brush as i dropped the rope from the top down. then pulled the brush to the top....

I use the rods and treat the liner like it's a gun barrel.

BrowningBAR said:
par0thead151 said:

I use the rods and treat the liner like it's a gun barrel.

so always clean from breach to bore?

nice screen name/handle...

par0thead151 said:

While I have read at least one member that tossed the creosote into his woodbox to burn again I simply let mine drop where it does outside (I sweep from the outside and none lands in the woodstove due to the chimney configuration) . . . I suppose you could try mixing it with cement and make little creosote/cement statutettes -- one of them could have a likeness of Dennis splitting wood vertically. ;) :)

Fat chance Jake!

Creosote is good to put in a flower garden or vegetable garden.

Backwoods Savage said:
Fat chance Jake!

Creosote is good to put in a flower garden or vegetable garden.

Depending upon your soil.

Throw your creosote onto a bed of coals, you'll be amased at how quick it goes up.

Status
Not open for further replies.