Selkirk Black DSP Double Wall Black Pipe Stinks for a long time

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

777funk

Sep 12, 2014
MO
Any time my stove pipe gets hot to the touch... i.e. running a cat stove bypassed for warmup, the house really gets fumed (burning paint fumes) pretty bad. The fumes are so bad that it's hard to breathe and we have to open a window.

It's becoming a problem. If we don't bypass the cat at all (not practical when getting a new fire going), this doesn't happen. But when we light a fire the DSP pipe gets hot to the touch (probably as hot as an iron I'd guess) and starts to give off bad fumes.

Is there anything we can do about this?

strange, mine never smelled. It was the stove that gave off a funk at first. Did you buy it new? maybe it was scratched and repainted?

The smell should be gone after 3 or so full loads of wood at med-high heat. If it continues or if you have gone through at least 5 fires with the pipe, I would guess it is something else and you need to do a very thorough inspection. Do you have a CO detector? It could be fumes from the stove leaking out somewhere. The smell of paint is far different from a wood stove and exhaust from a cat stove has a disgusting smell (to me).
My guess is that you have a leak somewhere, especially if it's during start-up and the draft has not been fully established yet.

The smell should be gone after 3 or so full loads of wood at med-high heat. If it continues or if you have gone through at least 5 fires with the pipe, I would guess it is something else and you need to do a very thorough inspection. Do you have a CO detector? It could be fumes from the stove leaking out somewhere. The smell of paint is far different from a wood stove and exhaust from a cat stove has a disgusting smell (to me).
My guess is that you have a leak somewhere, especially if it's during start-up and the draft has not been fully established yet.

This is definitely paint smell and no leaking from the wood smoke that I can detect by smell or leaks at joints. I could however see smoke coming off of the painted surface for each very hot starting fire so far with the cat bypassed (i.e. flames touching the stove pipe) and it really stinks. Smells like when you weld on or heat a painted surface past it's smoke point.

Any time my stove pipe gets hot to the touch... i.e. running a cat stove bypassed for warmup, the house really gets fumed (burning paint fumes) pretty bad. The fumes are so bad that it's hard to breathe and we have to open a window.

It's becoming a problem. If we don't bypass the cat at all (not practical when getting a new fire going), this doesn't happen. But when we light a fire the DSP pipe gets hot to the touch (probably as hot as an iron I'd guess) and starts to give off bad fumes.

Is there anything we can do about this?
You didn't mention whether the pipe is new or not.

If it is new, then you will continue to get an odor until the paint "cures" fully. That may take several firings as the paint will cure successively more each time the temp increases over the last burn session.

If it is an old pipe and the odor just started, then you got another issue....don't know what though.

This is new pipe this season. I almost want to take the pipe outdoors and put the outside over a hot fire for an hour. I wouldn't actually do that but it's pretty bad indoors. I'm sure it can't be healthy to breathe the fumes from the burning paint smoke.

Double wall stove pipe can take much longer than single wall, or a stove itself to cure. Its just a matter of dealing with it until its done, if this is in fact what you are smelling. I've had to make a dozen pretty hot fires in showrooms to burn that stuff off on DW pipe.

Good to know! So a dozen to get it gone. The stove is done gassing off it's fresh paint job (I applied it) for the most part. I wonder if there's a short cut or outdoors way to do the pipe's paint to cure.

That was my personal experience. Just please make sure its the pipe you are smelling and ventilate

Yeah I have it in my shop and it was smoking yesterday, real hot. Thing is, this ain't the first fire. Probably the third or fourth.

Defo wasn't the stove as its not new.

Most definitely the paint and not a wood smoke leak. I could see the paint itself smoking and it has a much different (and worse) smell.

Status
Not open for further replies.