selkirk metalbestos pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

willty

Jan 11, 2008
long island n.y.
istalled ceiling support kit(supervent) lowes-then metal bestos platnum 6 inch and single wall from my stove dealer.stove pipe adapter from the kit wont except the double wall stuff.i like the thickness of the stuff.both are from selkirk is the lowes stuff inferior?> thanks bill

I'm not exactly sure what you are saying, but here's my two cents. If you can use single wall, DO use it, you get a lot of extra heat that way. But the single wall stuff from lowes is junk. I highly recommend the 22 gauge HeatFab Saf-T pipe (you can order it online, and they have telescoping pieces that make installation simple). I used this along with the lowes supervent class A chimney pipe.

thanks i have a heavy gauge welded single wall from the fleu to the ceiling from there the stove pipe adapter with the ceiling kit does not take the metalbestos.which was over $400 for 3- three foot peices the super vent at lowes is what should go with the adapter.i just thought i would spend the extra for the platnum series thank again

Downloaded the SuperVent manual from Selkirk. Looks like it mentions a "Stove Pipe Adaptor" in there which I assume is what you have? It should twist lock into the bottom of the support box and have a crimped end that points down. Single wall pipe is pretty standard. Any single wall should fit over the crimped end as long as they have the same diameter.

You also mentioned double wall? Not sure why...

What is your problem exactly? Your post is slightly confusing.

It has taken me forever to get my install up and running due to trouble getting parts. Here is what I found out.

Selkirk makes three lines of chimney pipe:

Supervent: Sold in the US at Lowes and Menards ONLY (makes it hard to get parts)

SuperPro: Sold by hearth dealers and installers

Metalbestos: Sold by independent hardware dealers and other independent retailers.

If you look in the manual, it will tell you to only use the parts listed for a specific line. I called Selkirk to ask about using some SuperPro offset elbows with my supervent system. They said "NO, do not mix and match supervent and superpro. While they are physically compatible, it will void the listings and warranty". The same went for trying to use a Metalbestos roof support bracket. They told me that while it would work physically, it would void the listing and warranty.

You're taking a big risk as far as liability goes by using a supervent support box with metalbestos. I know it seems crazy, but they were very specific both times that I called.

-SF

I think you guys are more confused that I am... this is what I understand he has right now.

Connector pipe from stove to ceiling: Metalbestos 6" Platium single wall
Class A HT including support box: Selkirk Supervent

I think his only question is if the stuff from Lowes is junk. I can't answer that really. I think he statement about the double wall was simply that, him stating he could not use it, which he is not trying to do.

Do you have the crimped end facing down on your interior pipe?

The stuff from Lowes is a decent product. It's what I just installed.

What I'm saying is, there is a ceiling support box specifically for the Selkirk Metalbestos line of products that needs to be used, instead of the one from the SuperVent line.

Selkirk was very specific on the phone with me when they told me that mixing and matching parts between metalbestos, superpro, and supervent will void my warranty and the UL listing.

I wanted to use a roof support bracket from the Metalbestos line (#RSK) because it was a better part (I liked its design better), but they said that I must use the one that is listed for the SuperVent line (#JSC6RS).

-SF

The ceiling support box is part of the Class A HT system so I think it is correct to use the SuperVent one. The black connector pipe is a different system so I don't think it matters if you use a different brand, especially when using single wall pipe since it is quite generic in design.

Status
Not open for further replies.