Selling Firewood - $$$ Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If you enjoy C/S/S'ing (as I do), find some elderly couple that heat with wood that cant afford to have it brought in. Win Win.

This is what I was going to suggest. Pay it forward. :)

Reactions: Realstone
" A lot of free time"

Please explain - I am unfamiliar with this concept.

rent a POD and put your dry wood in it then let them haul it off!

" A lot of free time"

I agree on that, work, kids, and owning and maintaining a home tie up all of that free time stuff

" A lot of free time"

;lol

I've been trying for weeks to find a day to stack some wood. I think I'm gonna get after it this weekend if the boss and kids approve. ;)

Well guys I sold a truck load yesterday, they gave me $80 (I asked for $75) so that was nice. They are using it for campfires they said, very nice couple.

I measured what I put in the truck, and I believe it was almost exactly 1/3 a cord. I was pretty happy, so I went ahead and put another ad on craigslist today.

I picked up 3 massive (I loaded it really heavy as it was right up the street) loads of locust and cherry today from two big trees that were cut down so I am not short on wood in any way to sell!

Reactions: DexterDay
JW I saw you ad on craigslist, go for it. I consider selling some sometimes but it is hard for me to do, occassionally do sell some if people want to pick it up, I do give some away. I am up to about 25 cords so I am probably close to a decade ahead for as much as I burn. If I ever do decide to sell some at least I know I can say it is very seasoned. I have a lot of property so storage is not an issue, the issue is that too many trees keep dying.

I picked up 3 massive (I loaded it really heavy as it was right up the street) loads of locust and cherry today from two big trees that were cut down so I am not short on wood in any way to sell!

Keep that Locust! :cool:

Golf/woodnut, i was just reading your Sig line. You might want to reword it a bit. When you say you have 23 acres of hardwood that have never been forested, that really doesnt make sense( its an oxy moron, as you just said it was HW). I know what you mean, but the definition of "forested" means that it has trees on it. That can be from natural regeneration or regeneration from man either by way of seeding or direct planting. The term you want is "harvested" or some lay say "timbered", but as a forester i just had to correct you, sorry its my nature :)!

Golf/woodnut, i was just reading your Sig line. You might want to reword it a bit. When you say you have 23 acres of hardwood that have never been forested, that really doesnt make sense( its an oxy moron, as you just said it was HW). I know what you mean, but the definition of "forested" means that it has trees on it. That can be from natural regeneration or regeneration from man either by way of seeding or direct planting. The term you want is "harvested" or some lay say "timbered", but as a forester i just had to correct you, sorry its my nature :)!
Clemsonfor, thanks for the input, I just shortened things down a bit.

I hope you didnt take what i said the wrong way. I am not trying to be a know it all its just my personality to point things out like that. And i can com across as blunt sometimes, thats why i put the smilie!

Feel free to pick on my lack of punctuation, incomplete or run on sentences, and my spelling all of which i KNOW are terrible!

Dont feel that you need to shorten it down, i would just say never been harvested or some other wording. But personally i would really doubt that your property has never has any cutting of any kind done on it unless it is in a super remote hollar in the moutains that was too steep to harvest 75-150 years ago. Pretty much everywhere has been harvested to some degree, maybe not clearcut, but possibly highgraded or just seletivly harvested to some degree.

I only sell firewood in measured amounts. Maybe 5 cords/year. I can get a 1/2 cord into my full size p/u $80 seasoned/ 1/3 cord $60. Don't "need" the $ but it allows me to buy new toys guilt free. Plus I enjoy the physical work.

Last year I sold $2000 but I really had to hustle Craigslist, company classifieds etc. Sold lots of hickory to restaurants and people that smoke. Overall 50-50 split on heating wood vs cooking wood.

Sold lots of hickory to restaurants and people that smoke. Overall 50-50 split on heating wood vs cooking wood.
Nice little niche business. Ever consider packaging your hickory and making a fancy label for the smokers? Also try raising your price. People tend to attach value to your product when it costs more.

I hope you didnt take what i said the wrong way. I am not trying to be a know it all its just my personality to point things out like that. And i can com across as blunt sometimes, thats why i put the smilie!

Feel free to pick on my lack of punctuation, incomplete or run on sentences, and my spelling all of which i KNOW are terrible!

Dont feel that you need to shorten it down, i would just say never been harvested or some other wording. But personally i would really doubt that your property has never has any cutting of any kind done on it unless it is in a super remote hollar in the moutains that was too steep to harvest 75-150 years ago. Pretty much everywhere has been harvested to some degree, maybe not clearcut, but possibly highgraded or just seletivly harvested to some degree.
No, I didn't take it the wrong way, you are correct in that forested can mean several things. I do think a few spots on my property had some clearing as there was the remains of a log cabin in the woods and they probably did a small field for vegetables. But many of the trees are several hundred years old. You may have seen that I actually have/had the largest Ash tree in the state of PA. It is very steep land and difficult to harvest trees, especially in the old days. And in the current days our township makes it pretty much impossible to harvest trees.

The new land I bought in New York is just the opposite, the one was harvested just 2 winters ago and was harvested at least 1 other time, probably 2. The other piece is an old farm that has few trees and the wooded area was harvested about 8 years ago. But at my home it is like stepping back in time.

Status
Not open for further replies.