selling my old Dutchwest

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RustyShackleford

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Jan 6, 2009
NC
I am looking to get rid of my old Consolidated Dutchwest "large" (which is
really their medium) Federal airtight heater. It still works fine, leaks a
little smoke during low burns, has some cracked parts.

What, if anything, should I sell it for ? I am likely selling to a friend who
doesn't have tons of money. I was thinking maybe $100 - and he hauls
it, with my help. Reasonable ?

Thanks.

If he is a friend & does not have tons of money....how about an early X-mas gift ;-)

If he would get it out of the way quickly I'd let him have it. Those old Federals were heavy critters.

Matt

Hard to say without seeing it, but it sounds reasonable to me. How much life does the cat have left?

Todd said:
Hard to say without seeing it, but it sounds reasonable to me. How much life does the cat have left?

It still fires up (thermo gets up to 1000+ fairly easily), but not as
peppy as a new one, by a long shot. I've told him about this ...

Hi -

I find that items of this nature I exchange "For future draft choice!" I've come by some sweet deals years after the exchange. People remember good deads.

ATB,
Mike P

I actually just sold the same stove on Craigslist for $175, it sold in about a day. Mine was in really great shape. I had two of them which I inherited when i purchased my home. I had done maintenance of it last spring. The guy who bought it owns a Auto Body shop and needs it to keep the shop warm. Helped him load it and helped him install it. Used the money towards the purchase of Wood Pellets for the upcoming winter. Just tell your friend that he will need to shell out some money for piping which depending where he is can get a bit pricey.

Franklin

Thanks for the input guys. Sounds like the consensus is that $100 is plenty,
or $0 if I'm feeling at all generous. Mainly wanted to make sure I wasn't
letting it go for far too little, and that seems pretty clearly not to be the
case.

May I ask what you are replacing this baby with? Those things are workhorses, i use mine from late august to mid may everyday of the week.

KatWill said:
May I ask what you are replacing this baby with? Those things are workhorses, i use mine from late august to mid may everyday of the week.

You may. I am replacing it with a Blaze King Princess.

I have worked the Dutchwest long and hard, with lots of over-firing. Apparently
seams are getting leaky, 'cause I get a smoke odor in the house during low
burns. Also, even when new, it was a bit of an adventure to get a fire to
go all night. All the stories about 80+% efficiency and 20 hours burn
times on the BK finally got to me. I also like the idea that you can put SO
much wood into it at one time. The Dalai Obama's 30% tax credit was the
final straw; it has indeed stimulated me to stimulate the economy !

Oh that's a sweet one. Enjoy. Dalai Obama, classic. There are great incentives out there. I am in the process of getting solar panels installed and there are really good Federal and NY State tax breaks for those. Patiently awaiting for the estimate from three vendors.

KatWill said:
Oh that's a sweet one. Enjoy. Dalai Obama, classic. There are great incentives out there. I am in the process of getting solar panels installed and there are really good Federal and NY State tax breaks for those. Patiently awaiting for the estimate from three vendors.

Is solar not the same 30% credit ? NC used to have among the best state energy tax credits
in the country, but none active now AFAIK. Oh well ...

In NY State incentives for a typical residential or commercial system cover approximately 40-45% of the installed cost of a Solar System. So I am budgeting 15K for my system, in essence 28K cost. I am getting a break from one of the vendors on the installation and I'm also getting some things at cost. Im hoping that in two weeks I will be all set up.

Status
Not open for further replies.