Separate ash from coals

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

drhiii

Oct 15, 2006
I know this may be obvious to most, but after having perfected so much of my wood stove burning experience, the one thing I have not solved to satisfaction is how to separate ash from coals (hot or cold) from the firebox. I have a slew of implements, including the most important which is a $2 hoe from Walmart. I have come close to being able to manage ash in the mornings, burning off much of it, but I know I am missing a technique to rid the firebox of a % of ash when it builds up, especially after a very cold night and I needed to feed more than usual. Am able to coas 8-10 hour burns nicely and keep the digs nice and cozy.

But I am curious as to how folks manage ash. I have learned the importance of ash in the firebox, in addition to warm or cold coals. I can get a restart going quickly, and if I have been successful, ash is hardly an issue. But in stretches where I've had to throw more spilts in than usual, ash will built up faster (in my scenario... and I know there are stoves that are more efficient than what I have), but I'd sure like to hear how folks manage a % of their ash when they reach that point where they either need to rake it down into an ash pan, scoop it out, try to burn it off.... what are techniques people use to manage ash? I know I willnever get to the point where I sme others I have communicated with, a couple who have this exact same stove, who state they only had to clean ash out once or twice a year. Still, I could learn from you folks how to deal with this better.

tx

I have the perfect thing - the firescreen from my stove. Sift the coals and let the ash fall into a bucket. :)

LOL, I thought about that but then thought it would be too sarcastic to mention.

I took this idea from another thread on the site, but I bought a paint strainer, the type used with a roller, bought it for $3 at local hardware store and then bent the supports on it to act as handles. It works great to sift out the chucks of unburned coal. I push everything to one side of the firebox and then sift through the pile and pull the chunks out and dump them on the other side. Then scoop out the ashes.

Best ash sifter I've found and its cheap too!

I use a Woodstock Keystone, just push the ash and coals around on the bed of the stove and the ashes fall thru small slots into the ashpan down below. Once every 3-7 days, pull the ash pan out and empty. Don't really mean to be smug, but its another great feature of a very well designed stove.

Tx for all the responses. Ended up grabbing a downsized rake, straightened out the tines, and came up with a technique that moves the pile over the ash chute, and I can filter out the keepers and dump them off to the side. Same idea as the sieve themes above. As I have learned over time, so much of this is a matter of technique which with patience and once acquired, can dramatically increase results.

Another question... anyone here never, or hardly ever, have to clean out ash because your stove is so darned efficient. Would really be interested.

When burning douglas fir, extremely abundandt softwood, there is nearly no need to empty ashes at all. They simply don't accumulate. Seriously. Other softwoods can really make ash but that doug fir just goes away. Efficiency isn't the reason.

I believe you are correct. I burn a mix of pinon, oak, pine, and elm. The first two leave little ash. The latter two, especially elm (I only use it because it is free and abundant to me)... do pile it up. Next year I will press to use only hard wood and thus reduce this ash thing.

I spread the cold ashes on a small piece of plywood (outside) and push them around with a magnet, picking out the nails and manually picking out the charcoal. It's a bit of a chore but since I put the ashes in the compost I decided that I didn't want the iron or carbon in it. I thought the charcoal might hold onto nutrients in the soil. And the wife didn't want to get poked with rusty nails when gardening.

Status
Not open for further replies.