1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

septic smell on cold days

Post in 'DIY and General non-hearth advice' started by TheSmith, Dec 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. amkazen

amkazen New Member

Loc:
    Albuquerque, NM
    This is interesting to me as I also have the same problem of an outside smell on occasion. And, after reading this post, yes, it does occur to me now I only smell it on cold days, and not every cold day. I also do not smell it during the summer months. I did finally decide it had to be coming from my vent stack and thought I shoudl go make it taller but now this post confirms that.

And, my friend is going to install his septic system this Spring. It will be a seepage pit and it was suggested to him by the State of NM inspector that covers our area, as his lot is not large enough for a standard leach field.

Thanks for the info! What a great post.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. TheSmith

TheSmith New Member

Loc:
    maine
    thats a similar situation at my home, Im on a ridge and we get plenty of wind.actually I have not smelled it for almost a month now, but everyones replies have been very helpfull.I have also seen the filters but ohnestly I was more worried that something may have been wrong, I can deal with the wiff of poo now and then, as long as its outside!
  3. Gooserider

Gooserider Mod Emeritus

Loc:
    Northeastern MA (near Lowell)
    One approach to the "finding the lid" problem that a couple of my friends have used is simply to build a gazebo over the tank, with a trap door in the floor...

Gooserider
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.