SEQUOIA Catalytic EWF36-A fireplace & BIS Tradition

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

yurij

Hearth Supporter
Nov 4, 2007
Catskill Mtns, NY
Hi - I have narrowed down my search for a high-efficiency fireplace to these 2 units and I have some questions that I hope someone can clear up for me:
Sequoia:
1) if I am going to use the outside air kit, must both sides be used? is this because of some symmetry issue with the burning?
2) how can this be a high-efficiency unit if the air kits are optional?
3) the triple wall air-cooled pipe will spend about 20 of its 25' inside the house. the unit will be installed on an interior wall. i am in the Catskill Mtn's of NY which gets cold. will there be a draft issue? there will be some bends in the chimney. and i read in some posts that when the unit is not used, people can feel the cold air coming out of the unit. sometimes this is ascribed to a poorly insulated chase
4) since the unit does not have a gravity vent kit option, can i make use of the heated airspace above the unit for some sort of venting into another room? hard to believe that this space will not be warm enough to do this, but maybe its when the fireplace is not working this becomes a bad idea.
5) since this is an interior install, do i need to insulate the interior chase anyway?
6) does the unit put out enough heat?
7) what are the quality issues with VC and these units. I read about the recal, but assuming the unit i get is fixed, what other issues have people had? poor service, long part replacement times, or has the unit not functioned properly and it takes forever to figure it out?

BIS Tradition:
1) if i go with the air-cooled pipe, will i get the same issue as question 3 and 4 of the VC?
2) the efficiency of the unit is 63%, other high-efficiency units are in the mid 70's. why is this lower?
3) how do people like this unit?

Thx for giving this some thought. -Yurij

the efficiency listed is the EPA default does not mean the BIS is all that less efficient.. Both stove wall be a good choice

I f got to run now Church but will continue later about your venting options

thx. however, one dealer i spoke to (that carries the VC but not BIS) said that someone purchased the VC but says it did not heat anywhere near enough. they returned it for another fireplace. hard to believe, but that is what he said.

Status
Not open for further replies.