Sharpen the Monster Maul or not?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

neverbilly

Burning Hunk
Dec 27, 2015
Arkansas, USA
I use a Fiskars x27 and like it but I occasionally have (usually larger size) pieces hard to split. My brother has a Monster Maul I can borrow. Do you think it is best to have it sharp or not? I certainly get a workout with that thing.

I don't think you want it super sharp, but you do want a clean edge no nicks or dents. Also I thinks it works much better if you polish the cheeks of the maul. I have been doing this in stages, but it seems the more polished it is the better. It also seems to help when the maul sinks in but the round does not split.

So go polish that maul up and let me know if it works better for you.

Last edited:
Reactions: jatoxico
Don't split from the middle. Use the X27 around the edges of the piece. If you whack it from the outside and shave off pieces into the inside, you won't need a maul.