She Won't Sweep the Chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Simonkenton

Minister of Fire
Feb 27, 2014
Marshall NC
I was getting my taxes done the other day. The CPA is an 83 year old gal who lives way out in the country in the mountains of North Carolina in a hundred year old farm house.
Her CPA office is in the basement.

When I entered the house, upstairs, I noticed a strong smell of smoke.
In her office I saw in the corner a huge, home made wood stove. This stove looked like a Papa Bear on steroids.
She told me that it was made by a local welder. This guy did a real nice job and the stove was very well made. The six inch pipe went through the wall and joined a masonry stack that was outside the house..

She told me that the stack was made of fire brick, and surrounded by concrete block. She told me she had it lined with a metal pipe.

I asked her about sweeping the pipe. She said, "No, that brick will tear that metal pipe up."
Well I knew what she was getting at. In the old days, they tied 3 bricks together and lowered them down the stack with a rope, to sweep the pipe. The bricks would bang against the masonry stack and knock the creosote off.

I told her that she needed a brush on a fiberglass pole to sweep that pipe and it needed to be done once a year.

She looked at me like I was crazy. She said that the pipe was ok. She said that the creosote chunks fell down the chimney. She said that, every April, she got a guy to disconnect the stove pipe at the bottom, and reach in there and pull the creosote chunks out.
I told her that bricks on a rope were way out of date, and that if she would sweep the pipe with a brush she would get better performance, and her house wouldn't smell like smoke.

Granny told me that what she needed was an 8 inch stove pipe. She was not interested in what I had to say.

It's amazing how some people are stuck in their ways. Hope she doesn't have the same attitude toward tax preparation, you could be missing out.:)

Reactions: PapaDave
Granny told me that what she needed was an 8 inch stove pipe. She was not interested in what I had to say.

Cut right to the chase huh? Woman has no time for those 6 inch pipes anymore! Those are for the young-uns!

Reactions: Ashful
I was relating some of the stories I've been reading here on chimney cleaning / fires etc, to my brother and he reminded me of a technically minded gentleman in our home town that (30 Years ago) had installed a sprinkler system in his chimney.

Chimney gets dirty, catches fire, sprinklers put it out: chimney clean.

To the best of my recollection he died of natural causes. Current status of chimney sprinkler unknown.

Reactions: Ashful
It is weird, this gal is, on paper, very bright, because she got her CPA license. Yet, regarding her wood stove she is stupid. Her thought of sweeping the chimney goes to technology that was in use 100 years ago. Even then, she figures she can't use the bricks on a rope "because they will bang up that metal pipe." I mean, that is really stupid.
Hell, I have been using brushes on stove pipe for 44 years so I know the technology is at least that old.

Interesting that y'all would bring it up, but this made me wonder if she is stupid with my income taxes. Might have to find another CPA.

People can be stubborn and resistant to change. Her Pappy and her Pappy's Pappy did it that way so it must be right. I see it often, some people in NC have been doing things wrong for generations. It's sad.

Put granny on the phone. We want to talk with her.

Status
Not open for further replies.