Shim or Sham

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

overnighter

Nov 24, 2014
NE OHIO
I just had my Regency 3100 insert installed and noticed a wood shim between the firebox and side trim plate. I believe it was placed there to keep the gap on the top and side trim tight. Should I fret over this wood shim so close to my heat source?

Side trim plate? Is that the faceplate covering the fireplace opening? If yes, my guess is the shim is within clearances to combustibles plus that faceplate usually gets pretty hot at least with my insert. I would take it out and replace if needed with something non-combustible. It's up to you if you feel the installer should make that right or you would rather spend the few minutes doing it yourself.

Fret yes, remove and as advised, replace if needed with non combustible material.

Metal washers may work,

Piece of gravel. Lots of sizes to choose from.

Check to see if leveling bolts came with it. Otherwise anything that gets the job done and is not combustible. Metals works well.

I have a washer and a penny under one of my stove's legs.

Status
Not open for further replies.