Shop lighting recommendations

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I too built with 14' high ceilings and tried to anticipate lighting needs. My theory which has worked pretty well so far is that I don't want all 1800 SF lighted to the same level that I need for my actual work area. I picked a light level (lumens/SF) that allows very good walking, searching for junk, and large project type work and then have thousands (alot) of outlets all over to allow my portable high intensity light for a detail job. I also have a switched fixture as a quick run in and get something light. The overall lighting burns over 1000 watts so doubling that is getting into my hamburger money.

On the cold thing. That is obsolete info. The current home depot t8 ballasts are electronic and rated for 0 degrees F startup. At temps that low I do not want to be out there anyway. When temps are below freezing there is a noticable warm up period before full brightness. No noise or radio problems at cold temps or warm temps. Instant on.

I too remember the days of flicking the light switch on and off trying to get the ballast to fire.

Ditto on outlets. I have 120vac duplex outlets every 8 feet along the walls, and right above each of those I have a single 240ac outlet; also a 240ac drop cord outlet on a cord reel hanging from the middle of the ceiling going to the table saw. All of my major tools have the motors wired for 240ac and all are mounted on casters so that each can be moved in place where needed and then shoved back against the wall when not needed. Plus a workbench almost the full length of one sidewall with a permanently mounted 240ac radial arm saw, and drawers on slides under the workbench to hold tools or whatever. The shop has a 200 amp 240vac service, plenty of space for additional circuits, a 50 amp 240ac outlet for the MIG welder and a 30 amp 240ac outlet for miscellaneous big power need items.

It only took me 63 years to finally get a shop that had been a dream for as long as I can remember. Forever thankful for continuing good health, a beautiful wife, and a loving family with grandchildren.

Dang! I just came to the DIY forum (rarely do) to ask a question on table saws and found my post on shop lighting!! I posted in the Gear forum, which I guess didn't make sense, and never saw it - didn't realized it was moved here - I'll give a read to the posts and see what you guys had to offer - thanks for all the posts and sorry for not responding - thought the post never made it to the site! Cheers!

Reactions: flyingcow
Status
Not open for further replies.