Shop stove install question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ksfarms

Dec 27, 2017
Kansas
I have a 30 x40 metal wall wood frame shop that I'd like to install a wood burning stove in. The shop has framed walls with BATT insulation and plywood walls (6" thick). It's open all the way to the roof which is metal and has 1.50" of spray foam insulation. It's just a shop so I'd like to keep the install costs to a minimum. I'll probably just burn a load in the evenings to keep the temp above 40 F. The stove I have is a horizontal flue exit. I have plenty of room to get good clearance from a wall. I've been reading a lot on here and trying to determine the best way to do the install. I'm hung on whether to go straight out the back of the stove through the wall then a tee then vertical or to 90 right out the back of the stove with single wall and to go through the roof. If I go through the roof what parts do I need? Thimble? triple wall? How much of the insulation do I need to cut back? Everything I read says the outside pipe needs to be triple wall but a few guys I work with have run single wall outside of their shops.

I have a 30 x40 metal wall wood frame shop that I'd like to install a wood burning stove in. The shop has framed walls with BATT insulation and plywood walls (6" thick). It's open all the way to the roof which is metal and has 1.50" of spray foam insulation. It's just a shop so I'd like to keep the install costs to a minimum. I'll probably just burn a load in the evenings to keep the temp above 40 F. The stove I have is a horizontal flue exit. I have plenty of room to get good clearance from a wall. I've been reading a lot on here and trying to determine the best way to do the install. I'm hung on whether to go straight out the back of the stove through the wall then a tee then vertical or to 90 right out the back of the stove with single wall and to go through the roof. If I go through the roof what parts do I need? Thimble? triple wall? How much of the insulation do I need to cut back? Everything I read says the outside pipe needs to be triple wall but a few guys I work with have run single wall outside of their shops.

In general it's best to try to keep as much pipe inside as possible. Less cresote better draft.

Also think about snow sliding and ripping off your pipe if you get snow where you live

As far as install I'll let others share the way they suggest for a shop.

Thanks. I also have access to a stove with a vertical discharge. The location I've chosen do the stove is about 5' to the side of the peak so snow shouldn't be a problem. Can I just go straight up out of the stove or would that cause problems with cleaning? I saw these silicone boots called Dektite to penetrate a roof. Anyone have any experience with them?

Thanks. I also have access to a stove with a vertical discharge. The location I've chosen do the stove is about 5' to the side of the peak so snow shouldn't be a problem. Can I just go straight up out of the stove or would that cause problems with cleaning? I saw these silicone boots called Dektite to penetrate a roof. Anyone have any experience with them?

It depends on if you are wanting to do it the proper way which is highly encouraged here.

If you are thinking about deviating from the standards, which I don't recommend, I would at a minimum check with your insuarnce company and see what they are going to require for the install.

My way would be to go straight up to a support box and transition to your exterior pipe.

Also lift your stove a good 18" or so off the ground and make sure your locale does not have any code requirements that you need to follow. I know it's just a shop but I would still lean on the safe side.

I'd like to do it in a safe manner that's for sure. I see these dura-vent through roof kits ($300). When you refer to standard is that what you mean? Where would I find the regulations for installing them correctly? The item I was talking about was listed for use with chimney pipe and was rated to 473 F continuous. How hot does double/triple wall pipe get on the outside?

I'd like to do it in a safe manner that's for sure. I see these dura-vent through roof kits ($300). When you refer to standard is that what you mean? Where would I find the regulations for installing them correctly? The item I was talking about was listed for use with chimney pipe and was rated to 473 F continuous. How hot does double/triple wall pipe get on the outside?

Gotcha. I misunderstood. I thought you were wanting to run single wall all the way from the stove, cut a hole in roof, and then keep going to your cap.

I have never used the duravent kits. But a quick look at it seems to include your support box and everything you need minus of course your single wall on the bottom and your double or triple wall above it.

The standards for install can be found by googling NFPA 211..

Does your area require a permit for install?

Also do you have rafters that drop down giving you a place to mount your box?

You'll want to avoid the rubber boot and find/use a suitable metal flashing properly installed.

The firebox and air intake should be elevated 18"s to avoid the intake of collecting fumes in a shop. And the stove should be protected from impact as well. These would be code requirements in Canada. Not sure about down south.