1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

shop vac ash vacume ? any good ?

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by chico, Sep 6, 2013.

1. Awesome. Come back to this thread of yours and tell us if you like it.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. The Grintch

The Grintch Member

Loc:
    North Attleboro
    I just pick up the shop-vac Ash-vac. The hose is a little short but the suction was pretty impressive. It came with a Heppa filter, and the overall quality seems pretty good. Comes with a 2 year warranty.

For a $100 I'm happy with my purchase.
  3. chico

chico Member

Loc:
    Onterio Canada
    Just got my power smith in today:)==c
    Haven't been able to try it with ash just yet but man it has good suction .....this thing could suck a potato threw a straw :eek:
  4. Tenn Dave

Tenn Dave Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    SE Tennessee and New Jersey Shore
    I just use my old Ridgid Wet Dry Shop Vac with an upgraded filter for ashes. Just make darn sure the fire and ambers are completely out. After I use mine, I put it outside away from the house for a day or so, just to be sure. The suction is awesome!!
  5. StormPanic

StormPanic Member

Loc:
    Merrimack Valley, MA
    I just use a standard small shop vac with a cloth filter on it. Works perfect
  6. bbfarm

bbfarm Minister of Fire

Loc:
    wisconsin
    Who leaves the ash in the ash vac after cleaning?

We empty ours right away into the metal ash can outside.
  7. smoke show

smoke show Guest

Me.
    DneprDave likes this.
  8. dlehneman

dlehneman Member

Loc:
    Lakes Region, NH
    I used a Powersmith ash vac all last winter. Works great and I use it every day when I clean the stove. I shut down for about an hour everyday before cleaning and most of the time it's cool enough not to be an issue. I have rushed it a bit and had embers come back from the suction (in the burnpot), at which point I stop and let it cool a bit longer...or take a different approach and dump the burnpot in the snow or firepit.

I leave the ashes in the vac until it needs to be emptied and the vac close to the stove for convenience. I think it's fine if you are careful and plan to be home. I hardly ever leave the house so for me it's not much of an issue (work from home).
  9. joescho

joescho Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Northeastern PA
    X2
    smoke show likes this.
  10. Joful

Joful Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Philadelphia
    x3.
    smoke show likes this.
  11. Melissa220

Melissa220 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    central ME
    I've had mine for a year with no regrets. As Subsailor said, the only thing I vacuum is the burn pot and the ash around the viewing window and spillage from the ash pan. I also leave the unit on with the nozzle in the firebox area as I brush the heat exchangers and the firebox itself. Helps prevent ash flying out into the living room and up my nose!
  12. nayslayer

nayslayer Member

Loc:
    wallkill,ny
    me too
  13. Dr.Faustus

Dr.Faustus Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Hyde Park, N.Y.
    I just use the shop vac with hepa filter. It works well. Im really careful to let the stove cool a long time first, then i move the ashes around to look for lit embers. then i'll vac it up. After that i empty the ashes immediately, most of the time into water if theres any outside that isnt frozen. I'll leave the vac in the driveway overnight where it wont matter much even if it does have a meltdown.
  14. nayslayer

nayslayer Member

Loc:
    wallkill,ny
    The Dr reminds me that i also leave my VAX outside away from house as well
  15. Joful

Joful Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Philadelphia
    There's the trouble. Many of us only let the stove cool down once... in the spring.
    Bioburner likes this.