Should I buy a new stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

redcanoe

Oct 12, 2016
Gatineau
Hello kind wood burners, this is my first post and I am looking for some objective advice on performance. I currently have an Osburn 1000 I bought 2nd-hand 6 years ago and I would guess that it might be 25 years old. I have been looking at replacing it but am not sure if there will be a noticeable increase in performance vs cost of new stove. Various retailers have pitched the Napoleon S4, Quadra Fire Explorer II, and an Osburn 1600. My stove is in the 960 sq ft basement of our 1 story house with exterior chimney and is a primary heat source. I am assuming that it is a worthwhile investment and I will notice a lessened wood consumption but I can't seem to find any consistent opinions from retailers, so I am turning to you! So, should I buy? And I am happy to hear your stove recommendations too.
With thanks in advance.

Welcome. A modern stove will be more efficient and if you get one with a larger firebox it will burn longer between reloads as long as fully seasoned, dry wood is burned.

Is the basement well sealed around the sill plate and fully insulated?

I would not recommend the Osburn 1600. I have that stove in a split entry with the same square footage and chimney in the centre of the house. The stove is not capable of heating the house. It also back drafts terribly. I am unable to open the door unless it is over 500 degrees or there is just coals in the firebox. I definitely need something bigger and capable of belting out real heat.

I would not recommend the Osburn 1600. I have that stove in a split entry with the same square footage and chimney in the centre of the house. The stove is not capable of heating the house. It also back drafts terribly. I am unable to open the door unless it is over 500 degrees or there is just coals in the firebox. I definitely need something bigger and capable of belting out real heat.
I have to disagree. I had the insert 1600 and it performed as claimed. Bigger is usually better but for its size it performed remarkably. Maybe you bought the wrong size stove but it will do as well or better than any similar sized stove out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.