Should I buy the Pacific Energy Summit Classic or the Alderlea T6?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

patrolman467

Aug 6, 2010
Centerville, Tennessee
I like both these stoves, so I'm torn on which one to order. I guess it comes down to which one will last longer, be easier to operate, require the less maintenance, and Steel vs Cast Iron. Also include your opinions on which one looks the best. Don't factor in the price, because I'm not concerned how much it costs. Any help with this decision would be appreciated. Thanks.

Same stove with different stuff wrapped around it. Get he one you like to look at.

Wow, I think they are pretty darn close to the same stove, except steel vs cast iron. The T6 will take longer to get up to temp, but is a little 'softer' and more convective. The Summit is available in a lot of purty colors. I think they have essentially the same firebox and operate the same. You can't go wrong with either one.

Operation and maintenance are pretty much identical, the guts are the same. The Summit will warm up a bit faster and will be a bit more radiant. It has a wide selection of looks, finishes and configurations. The Alderlea has a more classic look and more mass so it will release the heat slowly even after the fire has died down. It also has the nifty trivet system which is great for everything from raising bread and drying mittens, to slow cooking. Open them up and the hot stove top is available for high-temp cooking.

Although they are basically the same stove the Alderlea is a better looker imo.

Get the T6. You can order it with the door handle on the right (the correct) side.

BrotherBart said:
Get the T6. You can order it with the door handle on the right (the correct) side.

Depends on where the wood is located. I prefer the default handle on the left side. Must be a right coast/left coast thing.

I think I'm leaning more toward the T6 because I just like the look of it better. So, I just have to make sure I should get the T6 over the T5. I could get the T5 in the black enamel, but there are some reasons that I like the regular black cast iron. I do like the larger size firebox of the T6. The firebox size is about 2 cubic feet on the T5 and about 3 cubic feet on the T6. My house size would probably work with either, it's aroud 2,000 sq ft. So, smaller T5 with possibly the black enamel or the larger T6?

Both the Summit Classic and the Alderlea T6 are built on the exact same 3 cu.ft. firebox as the original Pacific Summit.

The Summit was designed as a convection-style heater, with an outer sheet metal shell wrapped around the sides and rear, open at the top and bottom to allow airflow between the hot firebox and the shell. In operation, radiant energy from the fire is reflected back at the inner firebox by the outer shell, causing the air between to superheat and rise out the openings at the top, pulling cool air in off the floor through the openings in the bottom to be heated in turn. The top and front surfaces of the stove provide direct radiant heat to the room.

To make the Summit Classic, PE added a ventilated top to the convection shell, and finished the shell in glossy porcelain. The ventilated porcelain top plate includes a 7" x 19" rectangular trivet for cooking, removable to allow access to the super-hot firebox top plate below, if you have skinny pots and pans.

To create the Alderlea T6, PE made the outer shell out of 95 lbs. of cast iron instead of sheet metal. Like the Summit Classic, the T6's outer shell also incorporates a ventilated top with cooking trivet, but the trivet is much larger, and hinges open to expose enough of the top plate to accomodate big pots & pans for cooking at super-high temperatures.

The cast iron outer shell on the T6 heats and cools a bit slower than the steel shell on the Summit Classic, and causes more of the radiant heat to be turned into heated air. This is a subtle but noticeable difference: the T6 seems to provide gentler, more even heat over the burn cycle. The Summit Classic heats up faster, and might be a better choice if your lifestyle creates that you're often going to need to bring a cold house up to temperature quickly.

The other differences are mostly cosmetic. The Summit Classic might be more at home with contemporary decor than the traditional-styled T6. The Summit Classic can be ordered in 9 different porcelain colors, and the door, legs and trivet can be ordered in black, gold, brushed nickel or polished nickel. The T6 is available in black metallic painted finish only, with no porcelain options on the horizon for at least a year.

Status
Not open for further replies.