Should I close off the ash trap?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fireview2788

Minister of Fire
Apr 20, 2011
SW Ohio
As many know we installed our Fireview into the fireplace and piped it out the chimney. The draft is great and I've had zero problems (quick, knock on wood).

Last year I noticed that when the winter winds kicked up there was a draft that came up through the ash trap. Enough that you could see the coals brighten up when the wind kicked up.

So here's my question: Should I block off the ash trap to stop the cold air OR should I leave it alone to allow the extra draft?

f v

Could you use that for an OAK? That's what I did for one of my stoves. Took the ash dump grate out stuck a 4" pipe down and connected it to the Woodstock OAK adapter.

+1 on Todd's thoughts. Sounds like that air coming through the ash trap could be put to good use instead of chewing up the BTU's you're trying to stay warm with.

OK, Rookie Question: What's an OAK other than a tree that produces great firewood?

f v

fireview2788 said:
OK, Rookie Question: What's an OAK other than a tree that produces great firewood?

f v

Outside
Air
Kit

Or something like that... Some stoves are set up to use air piped in from the great outdoors.

Nancy

If you use it as an OAK, you need to put a critter cage (mess screen) over it. I am not sure of the advantage of an OAK vs non OAK, maybe someone else will elighten us. I guess its for better draft and/or efficiency. I have one too, just gonna blank mine off I think.

The advantage of an OAK is that you are taking air in from the outside rather than the heated air from inside to fuel the fire. Additionally, if you have a newer house that is tight, it helps with the draft to your fire. I just installed a new stove an plan on installing the OAK kit within the next couple of weeks.

I you do install one, you want to make certain that the pipe is insulated to help reduce/prevent condensation on the OAK pipe connection.

But what I don't quite get is preheated air is supposed to be better for draft right? and the only time you use a stove is if its cold outside so I stay confused. Does it have more to do with fresh air intake so some air in the structure is exchanged with fresh so less possibility of air quality problems in the house?

Pre-heated air doesn't cool the combustion chamber as much. Oak or not, the air coming into the stove runs around the stove before going into the firebox so it gets good and pre-heated whether it is drawn from within the dwelling or outside.

As Rem mentioned, some houses today are so tight that the stove will literally create a negative pressure zone in the house and will starve for air. The oak just gives it free access to air. In theory, it should also help keep from having inside humidity levels drop as much in the winter and also should slow any drafts that you do have around doors, windows, etc.

pen

pen said:
Pre-heated air doesn't cool the combustion chamber as much. Oak or not, the air coming into the stove runs around the stove before going into the firebox so it gets good and pre-heated whether it is drawn from within the dwelling or outside.

As Rem mentioned, some houses today are so tight that the stove will literally create a negative pressure zone in the house and will starve for air. The oak just gives it free access to air. In theory, it should also help keep from having inside humidity levels drop as much in the winter and also should slow any drafts that you do have around doors, windows, etc.

pen

Now thats explaining it to the T!

Status
Not open for further replies.