1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Should I fire the oil heat? Hear me out

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by PoolGuyinCT, Jan 23, 2013.

1. jlupi

jlupi Member

Loc:
    hudson valley, ny
    tekmar 256 does the same but adds the outdoor reset to adjust boiler temp depending on outside temp.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Mike D

Mike D Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    North Haven, CT
    I'm with both of you... never thought I'd leave but I've been telling my wife we can't retire here. It's expensive when we're working and it won't get any better when we retire.

Mil rates going up because the state is in the red and part of their plan to fix the deficit is to cut the aid to the municipalities (which means the munies just pass it on to us rather than cut budgets).

Hang in there...
  3. PelletMike

PelletMike New Member

If i am reading right, this unit will pull the water from your baseboard heat pipes if it is hot enough. If thats the case this is a bad idea , The water in your heating pipes should never really get replaced. The water neutralizes over time of it being in the pipes. thats why you do not see as many heating pipes that leak and more hot water pipes that leak.

Also, Heating with oil is expensive no matter how you do it .

Never have you oil company tune your system. They want you to use more heat .

Yes, you are using more heat if you turn your heat on while taking a shower.
  4. jlupi

jlupi Member

Loc:
    hudson valley, ny

the water has to circulate from the boiler through the pipes in the baseboard, thats how they get hot??????? am i not understanding you???

If the water in the boiler is above a certain temp it will circulate w/o firing the boiler.
  5. PelletMike

PelletMike New Member

Yes, but it keeps the same water in the pipes only adding when it gets low. The boiler uses different water for hot water . And the heating water is a closed system.
  6. jlupi

jlupi Member

Loc:
    hudson valley, ny
    yes both are closed systems. they dont mix