Should I insist on a block off plate

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a question in to the inspector now so we will see what he says.

bholler:
I didn't understand that the link you posted was an actual code document. It looked like it was something from a specific stove manufacturer. Is this (the IRC) the basis from which most states set their code for solid fuel stoves? How do I find out if this is applicable in MA (more specifically Easton MA)

Thanks
Jeff

The codes listed there are from the irc code book exactly i have the book here and checked it before i ever linked to it but no it is not a irc site. From what i found ma has adopted irc as its residential building code with some amendments that have donthing to do with that section i linked to. So yes it is code in ma as well as most of the country.

http://www.mass.gov/eopss/consumer-...se-type/csl/8th-edition-residential-code.html

Here is a link to Chapter 10 in the irc code book it is published on this site by seattle but it is the same book used in ma. I just cant find a link just for irc

http://www2.iccsafe.org/states/seattle/seattle_residential/PDFs_residential/Chapter 10.pdf

All that being said if your local code guy says it is ok it is ok. But from what i have found he should not ok it without insulation unless the required clearances are there. Even if those clearances are met most liners require insulation to maintain their ul listing when used for solid fuels And if your installer does it with out insulation the liablity is his so if anything happened his insurance would be responsible but it is still your house on the line so its your decision to make

Last edited:
If your local building inspector says uninsulated is OK as well as your installer. Then I would say your situation doesn't call for the extra expense of the material and the possibility of tearing out the existing flue liner to fit 1/2 inch of insulation. First let me say this site is an invaluable resource of information. Love this site! That said,,, Don't let some of the people on here scare you into something you don't need. There is a thread here where the installer said the homeowner only needed an ember protection hearth. Before long the experts here had this poor women tearing out a brand new masonry hearth with everything from sawzalls to jackhammers.telling her the hearth was not done right. In the end it turns out the installer was correct and it only needed ember protection. Lucky for the homeowner at least one person here knew what he was talking about.and saved her from ripping out the new hearth the experts here told her to rip out.

Sometimes it seems that every person that asks about an install here is told the installer is ripping them off or not doing the job right. Gets old.

Thread here.
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads...ith-pix-and-desperate-plea-for-advice.132704/

Reread the entire thread. At no point is an "expert" telling her to rip out the hearth. Instead for the most part the thread is a patient explanation of hearth requirements and construction. No one is psychic here. You deal with the facts as you get them. If we err, we try to do it on the side of safety. When revisiting this thread one will read that the jackhammer comment was suggested by the OP, followed by one comment in thread #28 where someone offered an opinion on how to remove the hearth if necessary. That's it. We deal with the facts we have on hand. It was not until post number #41 in the thread that we were told this is a non-standard stove with undocumented legs. They were for a later model that had different hearth requirements. This was on the weekend. Once the facts were on the table, the suggestion was to calm down and speak with Hearthstone on Monday. FWIW, I think the homeowner, OP and installer were the same and of the male gender. End of story.

Last edited:
Reactions: tarzan and bholler
My point is the installer said the hearth was good to go. Then just by looking at pictures some members here told the home owner the hearth was not to spec. And were freely giving info on how to remove the hearth. When all along the installer was 100% in the right. Happens a lot here. Right now a thread is going about a ceiling support box. The installer said it wasnt needed. A couple members here told the home owner to get another installer, when in fact the installer has several options open to him that would not require a support box. Were talking about peoples business and lively hood here. People should be "SURE" what they are dealing with before they condemn someones work and knowledge from the comfort of an easychair.

Your point is taken but the hearth thread the members were in the right to question it with out a doubt the model number the poster listed required more insulation than they had and the poster said nothing about putting the long leg kit on. The other thread i agree there are ways to do it with out the support box which is what both begreen and my self said but it is not the most common way to doit which is why some questioned it. And have you come up with the documentation yet that says that the code i posted is not valid like you have said repeatedly? I am sorry but if you are going to get on people for being to cautious i will get on you for the opposite.

Last edited:
Reactions: tarzan
The chimney is on an exterior wall except the garage and addition above it were built around it. It does still reside in an unheated garage and storage space though off the master bedroom. It is also a double flue chimney that has a second flue that is used for the oil furnace.

probably will not need to be insulated then as its wrapped by the house even tough its an unheated garage. in most cases with good burning habits and well seasoned wood a flue which is not DIRECTLY exposed t the outside below the roofline will trap plenty enough heat to sustain good flue temps. happy to hear about them putting in the lower plate as this will accentuate the warming of the flue as well.

My point is the installer said the hearth was good to go. Then just by looking at pictures some members here told the home owner the hearth was not to spec. And were freely giving info on how to remove the hearth. When all along the installer was 100% in the right. Happens a lot here. Right now a thread is going about a ceiling support box. The installer said it wasnt needed. A couple members here told the home owner to get another installer, when in fact the installer has several options open to him that would not require a support box. Were talking about peoples business and lively hood here. People should be "SURE" what they are dealing with before they condemn someones work and knowledge from the comfort of an easychair.
The installer is the owner and OP. He is a he, not a she. There was no good to go by the installer, that is why the OP came here for a check. We did that based on what we were told about the installation. The seller had not told the owner (and installer) that he had changed the legs on the stove. The new owner (and installer) had to call Hearthstone to get the official info on the new legs because it is not in their stove manual. 'Nuf said here. Any more discussion on this topic should be done offline in a conversation instead of in a thread hijack.

Reactions: brenndatomu
If this is an exterior wall fireplace you will appreciate having a proper block-off plate with Roxul insulation stuffed above it. That will keep the stove warmer and thus putting more heat into the room space. There's no point in heating outdoors.

If this is an interior fireplace there may be less gain and simply stuffing some insulation around the flue in the damper area is probably sufficient. The heat that does go up the chimney will warm up the masonry and will slowly release back into the house as the stove cools down.

Can you do this, stuffing up insulation around the flue, once a stove has been installed? I didn't keep an eye on the guys when they installed our stove, but I am 99% sure they didn't pack any insulation in there....just ran the flex liner down the chimney and that was it.

Yes - but as long as you are in there, why not install a proper block off too. They are pretty easy to make.

Yes - but as long as you are in there, why not install a proper block off too. They are pretty easy to make.

Well I need to read some the block-off-making threads, but it sounds like the whole stove has to come out for me to get in there and install a block-off plate.

Well I need to read some the block-off-making threads, but it sounds like the whole stove has to come out for me to get in there and install a block-off plate.

Possible - depending on your available clearances.

I did one when I had my insert without taking the stove out, I made a two piece plate, now that I have a free stander I made a one piece.

Much to my surprise, when my installer came to install my pellet insert, he came with a pre-cut formed single piece of sheet metal. Prior to his arrival, my chimney was sight unseen as they never came earlier to take measurements. The install of the block off plate was less than 15 mins. So there must be a standard trick to this...

If you want & worth it for you , take the measurements , pictures & send it to me. I run a sheet metal shop &can lay this out on my computer program , give 1" laps or more what ever you want. I could mail it to you. Piece of cake for me.

Reactions: Grisu and Nickolai
If you want & worth it for you , take the measurements , pictures & send it to me. I run a sheet metal shop &can lay this out on my computer program , give 1" laps or more what ever you want. I could mail it to you. Piece of cake for me.

If I was doing my install myself I'd be all over this offer.

You should offer this to every DIY'r who comes around on this forum, I bet you'd get alot of takers!

Very generous but be careful what you wish for. :) I had that coming to mind:
;lol
AMWDNT33lg.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.