1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Should I Order This Splitter?

Post in 'The Gear' started by stick burner, Sep 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stick burner

stick burner New Member

Loc:
    Carlsbad, New Mexico
    Hello All,
    Got a question or two I'd like to through at you. Am wanting a smaller log splitter here at the house and one that I can bring to my cabin without a lot of trouble. I like the DR- G3- 6 ton (electric) splitter. However, it is a "discontinued" model, but is on sale for $489. The only REAL difference I can see in this model vs. the new one is that it holds less hydraulic fluid than the new one (172 oz. vs. 219). Is this important? I have a feeling that this just results in a little faster log splitting time and return time. Am I right? If that's all it is, it ain't no big deal to me. If I get a hold of a few logs it can't handle, I'll through'em in the back of the truck and split'em on my bigger splitter at the bbq joint. What do all of you think? Is this splitter a good choice for what I want it to do?

Thanks,
    Stickburner

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Gooserider

Gooserider Mod Emeritus

Loc:
    Northeastern MA (near Lowell)
    From what I've seen DR stuff seems to be fairly good, but overpriced... The sale price takes care of that, perhaps, so if it seems like it would work otherwise, go for it. I doubt there is all that much difference in the electric splitters.

Gooserider
  3. carpniels

carpniels Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Rome, NY, USA
    Hi Stick,

Or you could save yourself $189 and get the Ryobi for $300 at HD.

Everyone likes them.

Carpniels
  4. Elderthewelder

Elderthewelder Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Everett, Washington
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.