Should I put in a second flu on a new home for a future wood stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

csnocke

Aug 11, 2010
Wells, VT
I just built a new modular home that came with a fireplace and one stainless steel liner. I had them make the wood chimney extra wide to accomodate a future liner for a basement woodstove. However, someone mentioned to me that I would need to install the liner now before I put together the chimney walls or I won't be able to easily install the liner without taking the chimney apart. Is this true?

Do I really need two liners if I am using two wood appliances (fireplace and woodstove)? I am really broke and am trying to come up with the best solution without causing a problem down the road.

If I put a really big woodstove in the basement, would it do a good job of heating at least the main level of my two story center hall colonial house (2700 sq. ft)?

I am really new at all this and am looking for any advice you may have!!

fireplace will require it's own dedicated flue. Put in both now, and save yourself trying o rig in another flue later. It's all new construction, so whats an extra 1200 bucks on a 30 yr note?

you are definitely not allowed to have two solid-fuel-burning devices sharing the same flue. My house was built in 1981 with such a configuration (both the upstairs & downstairs woodstoves vent to a large 12x12 clay flue) and it is definitely "not up to code" as a result (along with the oversizing of the flue itself).

I'm not a chimney sweep or installer but I'd be willing to bet it'll be a whole lot easier/less complicated to install that second liner now rather than later.

For sure, put the second flue in if you plan on having wood heat in the basement.

Did they install a decent fireplace on the main floor or is it a contractor special?

Status
Not open for further replies.