Should I Replace My Old Solar Key???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

feverdog71

May 21, 2014
Metamora, IL.
Hi,
I'd like to upgrade to a more efficient model, but I'm not sure if it would be worth the cost. I've been burning for 4 years now, but I don't really know much about wood stoves. I was hoping someone with some knowledge could give me some advice.

Some info about my stove:
It's a Solar Key, but I have no idea what year it was made.
I try to burn 24/7 and keep my furnace off as much as possible.
I probably burned about 4 cord this past winter.
I have an 8in. outlet which goes directly to the chimney flue
Square footage to heat: 1650

Any thoughts on upgrading? I don't mind the Solar Key, but if I could substantially cut down on how much wood I burn, that would be great.

How much should I price my stove if I did upgrade?

Are there any programs or tax incentives to upgrade?

DSCN1402.jpg

Thanks for any help you can provide!!

Welcome. The Solar Key was made in the late 70's I think. It is pre-EPA and reminds me a bit of Orley's design. It may be a strongly radiant heater, but I think you will easily save wood by updating. Modern stoves are much more efficient and clean burning. However, there may be some compromises. A new stove is really going to want to burn dry wood and the wood length could be much shorter. Typical for many stoves is 16-18". Also, they like a stronger draft than most older stoves. How tall is the chimney on the stove?

Stove costs runs wide depending on the requirements, options, style and size stove desired. What would the budget be?

Thanks for the reply. The distance from where the pipe goes through the wall to the top of the chimney is about 15 ft.

I was told pretty much all new stoves are 6 in. output. How hard would it be to swap out the 8 in. union to the chimney flue with a 6 in.?

I would probably buy a 2,000 dollar stove if I knew I would cut my wood consumption in half. I guess it depends on wood savings, what I could sell my old stove for, and how difficult it would be to retrofit my chimney.

I don't want to go thru the effort and expense if I'm only going to save a truckload or so each winter.

Do you know what the clay tile liner size is in the chimney? If it's 8x8 you may be able to get away with just reducing the 8" thimble down to 6" with a standard stove pipe reducer. It's hard to say how much wood you will save, I would expect at least 30%, but that depends on the quality and dryness of the wood. Others may be able to give you a more precise figure. You can get a decent replacement stove for under $1000 like the Englander 30NC, or you can go a bit more deluxe unit if desired.

Hi,
I'd like to upgrade to a more efficient model, but I'm not sure if it would be worth the cost. I've been burning for 4 years now, but I don't really know much about wood stoves. I was hoping someone with some knowledge could give me some advice.

Some info about my stove:
It's a Solar Key, but I have no idea what year it was made.
I try to burn 24/7 and keep my furnace off as much as possible.
I probably burned about 4 cord this past winter.
I have an 8in. outlet which goes directly to the chimney flue
Square footage to heat: 1650

Any thoughts on upgrading? I don't mind the Solar Key, but if I could substantially cut down on how much wood I burn, that would be great.

How much should I price my stove if I did upgrade?

Are there any programs or tax incentives to upgrade?

View attachment 133307

Thanks for any help you can provide!!
no it wouldnt be prodent to replace your stove Solar key was made in mill city oregon orginally under name of hot diamond we operated from 1972 till late 1987
Welcome. The Solar Key was made in the late 70's I think. It is pre-EPA and reminds me a bit of Orley's design. It may be a strongly radiant heater, but I think you will easily save wood by updating. Modern stoves are much more efficient and clean burning. However, there may be some compromises. A new stove is really going to want to burn dry wood and the wood length could be much shorter. Typical for many stoves is 16-18". Also, they like a stronger draft than most older stoves. How tall is the chimney on the stove?

Stove costs runs wide depending on the requirements, options, style and size stove desired. What would the budget be?

our stove was not pre epa we under went all requirements starting in 1974 we made solar key under hot diamond products till mid 70s then we went under name of solar key till late 1987 we had 42 patents on our stoves which most companies have on thier stoves today... we had the firs catyltic wood burning stove im one of the orginall owners of solar key we built our stoves in mill city oregon...

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: melagrensis
Hi,
by looking at your stove it looks like the 1978 or 1979 model 24 inch see fire that model had an option of a oven which was included in our boilers also

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.