Should I swap out the Hitzer

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HitzerHillbilly

Feeling the Heat
Oct 18, 2014
Northern Indiana
I have a hitzer 983 insert in my house right now and have been seriously debating on switching out to a "true" wood burning insert. I know the 983 is a coal burning stove but I only burn wood here in northern Indiana. I live on 50 wooded acres with enough wood down now to last 10+ years. The Hitzer does a nice job of heating the 2500 sqft cap cod, just wondering if I would benefit from a different stove? Suggestions and ideas greatly appreciated!

How many cords are you burning each year? The only advantage I see to switching to a true wood burning unit, is a cleaner more efficient burn- which will most likely save on wood consumption. How large is the firebox of the hitzer?

Not exactly sure yet, I have about 4 cord ready to go this year. I have to research the firebox, but it is a decent size. My concern is I only get about 6 hours max burn time over night. Usually still have hot coals for easy restarts, but any longer than that and it's a complete restart. Granted those burn times are with light wood, not something like oak

Those times are pretty good from a coal stove honestly. But i would bet that you will get better burn times from a wood stove. And coal stoves are typically harder to service when wood is used. I dont know your stove but most coal units i have worked on are not easy to clean anything other than fly ash from many of the passages. but most wood stoves make it much easier

Reactions: brad wilton
Status
Not open for further replies.