Should I 'upgrade'?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pelletdude23

Jan 5, 2012
Central Ohio
Hi Guys,

I’m new to the forum but have been burning wood pellets for about 9 years. My current stove, an Englander 25-PDVC, was in the house when we purchased it (made in May 2000). For the past almost 9 years, the stove has worked very well, required minimal upkeep, and been great. I burn about 2-2.5 tons per season and live in central Ohio.

So far this year, I feel like there has been a decrease in performance, and I’m not sure why… It seems as though the stove does not keep the house warm as it did before. Within the past year, I’ve replaced the door, window, and burn pot gaskets. It could be the pellets too – I’m using EasyHeat pellets (they are dry, kind of ashy, but seem like quality pellets to me), but I don’t have a go-to brand that I think works best. In so many words, it could be the stove or the pellets causing my perceived decrease performance, but I can’t say which. Who knows, it could be the house (windows, insulation, etc.). I do have a fresh air intake hooked up.

Now the question… I have the opportunity to purchase a 1 year-old (used one season) MagnuM Countryside 3500p corn/pellet stove for $1,000. I think it retails for around $2,000, although the seller stated they paid $2,100. The seller is a co-worker’s son who added a basement to his house and installed a wood burning furnace over the summer (thus not wanting the MagnuM). Would this be worth the ‘upgrade’ considering the 25-PDVC may continue working indefinitely? The obvious upsides are: newer (1 yr versus 12 years old); more btus (25-PDVC is hard to find a range, but the 3500p has a stated range of 10,000-56,000); 1,500 sq. foot heating capacity versus 3,500 sq. foot capacity; and multi-fuel versus wood only.

It seems to me it boils down to spending a grand that I don’t need to necessarily spend, but is this too good a deal to pass up? I would probably keep the 25-PDVC in hopes that I may be able to use it in a shop at some point, or to throw back in use if we sell the house and take the newer stove with us.

Thank you so much for your input and responses.

Mark

At least for me, the fact that it is a multi-fuel, would not be a selling point. Corn is way too expensive and is difficult to store. Not sure any other fuel would be an advantage. Ive been using Easy Heat also. Not the best i"ve used. How long has it been since your stove had a thorough cleaning...that might be the efficiancy problem.
If I were you...and cash flow was not a problem, I might buy the newer stove, try it out, and hold on to the old one. Pick the one you like best....and sell the other one!

Remeber that to burn corn or other fuels besides pellets, you need to "upgrade" your venting as well, if it isn't already, and is the new stove 3" like the Englander?
I too have a 25PVDC, and every now and then I wish I went bigger, and to be truthful, if that deal came my way I think I would buy it, install it, and reap the rewards of a more powerful stove.
just sayin......

John

I'm not sure about the Magnum but some stoves designed primarily for corn do not burn pellets very well.

And some need diff burn pots to burn diff fuels.

just sayin.

I just helped a buddy (a buddy of a buddy) install one and I was impressed with the burn. The damper has to be closed almost all the way (its on the exhaust/plate that blocks exhaust flow). Manual light stove, blower louver is adjustable, so it can blow the air up or out. Pretty easy to clean. Has all kinds of access ports and knock-outs for getting into the ash traps.

The thing kicks the heat pretty good. He bought it used for $900 and came with venting , 3 burn pots (2 clinker pots and stirrer pot) and pad. I had to give him a few pieces of venting, but other than that, its a pretty good stove.

Night and Day compared to the Baby Countryside. The Baby starves for air. Where the 3500 gets almost to much.

Here is a pic. Did it right before Christmas. The pad seems small, but its just barely legal. And its Clearances for corner install were 1" to sides (corners) but because of a stud, he wanted to pull the stove out further. Over 1 ft from each corner. Plenty of space to work on it. But looks Gawky...

Doesn't need Multi Fuel venting.... As long as you only burn pellets.

Also FYI... Easy Heats are not the hottest pellet out there. Somersets, Pro Pellets, Lignetics, or AWF. Will get you much more Heat. If any of them are around you?

Attachments

• Channingsstove.jpg
    Channingsstove.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 291
I am a firm believer in the multifuelers. Just a bit more money and you have a stove that will handle even sub par pellets with ease. No more pellet picky stoves for me or any of my friends if I can help it. Seeing what junk mine can eat, While my friends stoves are complaining about the same brand/batch of fuel mine is eating with a smile even! I'd rather be the one complaining and not my stove.

If you can afford one, At least consider it. The multifuel option will come around. Keep your eye on bamboo and certain grass's. Lots of pressure on wood fiber. Somethings gotta give sooner or later.

O the Englander 25-PDVC, Im guessing that your combustion motor is going kaput.

First step is to do a full break down cleaning
second step is try a new pellet or two that are known top notch (oakies, cubex, barefoot, etc etc)

if you're still having issues after that, then look to the stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.