Should my Cat be replaced? (BK Princess) *Update and Another Question*

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

project240

Hearth Supporter
Nov 30, 2010
Alberta
I just went through the cleaning process as described in the manual. (Boil in 50/50 Vinegar, Rinse, Boil, Rinse...)

Some of the "honeycomb" is obviously damaged in a few spots, but not sure if it needs replacing. Again, this is my first cat stove, so really have nothing to judge against. Sorry, I left the pics fairly large so it would be easier to see everything.

FRONT
Should my Cat be replaced?  (BK Princess) *Update and Another Question*

BACK
Should my Cat be replaced?  (BK Princess) *Update and Another Question*

It looks like it is still serviceable. I would put it back in and see how it works.

How old is this cat?

BeGreen said:
It looks like it is still serviceable. I would put it back in and see how it works.

How old is this cat?

The stove was made in 2002, but the guy I bought it from said he only used it for 5 or 6 winters.

I'm trying to ask a lot of questions now while I am still finishing up getting things installed, rather than when I really want to be using the stove. I guess it either works or doesn't, right?

Pretty much. If you don't see any cat action it's time to replace it. I would go ahead and order a new one. You will need it eventually and based on the dates, perhaps soon.

Ive seen much worse. That one will probably work fine, but since its 5-6 years old already, I would order a new one, and keep an eye on how she fires.... if she starts to falter, you'll have a new one on hand.

That cat won't be at 100% but should still work. When you do replace the cat, expect that old one to crumble when you remove it so beware on where you take it apart or you'll have a mess. I just replaced ours and took it right to a trash barrel before removing it from the holder. About 75% of it just fell all apart as soon a I loosened the frame.

What did it look like before you did the 50/50 boil? Was it clogged pretty bad? I'm betting it's at the end of it's life but you never know til you try. I agree with the others to buy a new one to have on hand if this one doesn't do it's thing.

BeGreen said:
Pretty much. If you don't see any cat action it's time to replace it. I would go ahead and order a new one. You will need it eventually and based on the dates, perhaps soon.

I suppose I could search, but any reputable sources online you'd recommend?

Todd said:
What did it look like before you did the 50/50 boil? Was it clogged pretty bad? I'm betting it's at the end of it's life but you never know til you try. I agree with the others to buy a new one to have on hand if this one doesn't do it's thing.

It really didn't change much in appearance before and after cleaning. I had vacuumed it out prior and while I cleaned there was some dust and grime that came out, but really overall, maybe a touch lighter in colour afterwards, but not much.

I agree with order a replacement to have on hand, I think I'm going to do that.

As a cat stove owner, I'd buy a backup just in case it dies on you mid-winter. It always seems whenever you must have a product immediately is when there are always delays and frustrations. Will the cat last though this winter? Probably. It may even last next winter. But, it would really suck if it died on you in January.

My stove is completely installed and I've had several fires with it. I love the long burn times, but I'm still not sure my cat is working properly. When I burn with the thermostat on high, everything seems to operate as it should (I think). However, when I dial it down to under 2, I seem to get a fair amount of smoke coming out the chimney.

Obviously, I'm sure the first reply is about whether or not the wood is seasoned. I questioned this myself after reading the cat stoves like particularly dry wood. However, I have the same problem even with a load of my driest wood, measuring under 16% MC.

It doesn't matter when during the burn cycle I dial it down, I still seem to have the same problem. I've been trying a few different things lately, with not much success. The only other culprit I could think of was the cat gasket possibly. After cleaning my cat I know I have to replace this gasket and it is on order, should be here this week.

Anyways, any other things I should/could check?

Does that cat glow?
Without the gasket I'm sure some smoke is getting by and it may make it harder for the cat to light off good.

It glows sometimes, but sometimes it doesn't... I can't figure out the pattern yet. I had emailed BK and the guy who responded said glowing cat doesn't necessarily mean anything... whatever that means?

With that being said, the cat thermo always shows it being in the "upper" active zone.

It will work without glowing..but on a reload after it gets going good..1/2 to a hour and you shut down the flame it should glow pretty good after another 15 mins or so.
A lot of out gassing going on then.

What color is the smoke? You may be seeing white steam?

I'll try to snap a picture tomorrow, but it's definitely white, but also definitely looks too "thick" to be steam.

If it's white and dissipates within about 10' it's steam.

Status
Not open for further replies.