1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Should stickers on new Selkirk chimney pipe be removed?

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by BlueMavWood, Nov 17, 2012.

1. BlueMavWood

BlueMavWood New Member

Loc:
    NYS
    Hi, does anyone know if the information (make, model number, UL rating etc.) stickers located on the sides of Selkirk metal chimney pipe should be removed prior to fireing? The stickers appear to be a metalized material but they do come off easily if desired without leaving residue. Seems like good information to have there for future referance if they don't burn but I don't know if they are designed to stay there or not. Anyone know? Thanks.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. webby3650

webby3650 Master of Fire

Loc:
    southern Indiana
    There is no need to. It likely won't be hot enough to even release the glue. Sometimes the label is on the front of the pipe and is an eyesore so I remove only the ones that show. They often end up on the seam that is on the back anyway.
  3. fossil

fossil Accidental Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Bend, OR
    Stovepipe, or Class A chimney pipe? In either case, if you want to preserve the info for posterity, just take a nice clear close-up pic of the sticker...then either remove & discard it (interior stuff, maybe), or let nature take her course (exterior stuff, maybe).
  4. EatenByLimestone

EatenByLimestone Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Schenectady, NY
    I rotated my pipe so the stickers were facing the peak. Unless you are on the roof you can't see them. It's funny what we pick up on. I was more worried about the black line of mastic showing too much.

Matt
  5. BobUrban

BobUrban Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Michigan
    Mine are surviving their second season with no sign of deterioration on both Class A snd DBL wall stove pipe. Just rolled them to the back on the stove pipe.