Should stickers on new Selkirk chimney pipe be removed?

BlueMavWood Posted By BlueMavWood, Nov 17, 2012 at 8:59 PM

1. BlueMavWood

BlueMavWood
    Member 2.
    NULL

Dec 7, 2011
    Loc:
    NYS
    Hi, does anyone know if the information (make, model number, UL rating etc.) stickers located on the sides of Selkirk metal chimney pipe should be removed prior to fireing? The stickers appear to be a metalized material but they do come off easily if desired without leaving residue. Seems like good information to have there for future referance if they don't burn but I don't know if they are designed to stay there or not. Anyone know? Thanks.

2. webby3650

webby3650
    Master of Fire 2.
    NULL

Sep 2, 2008
    Loc:
    Indiana
    There is no need to. It likely won't be hot enough to even release the glue. Sometimes the label is on the front of the pipe and is an eyesore so I remove only the ones that show. They often end up on the seam that is on the back anyway.

3. fossil

fossil
    Accidental Moderator 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Sep 30, 2007
    Loc:
    Bend, OR
    Stovepipe, or Class A chimney pipe? In either case, if you want to preserve the info for posterity, just take a nice clear close-up pic of the sticker...then either remove & discard it (interior stuff, maybe), or let nature take her course (exterior stuff, maybe).

4. EatenByLimestone

EatenByLimestone
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jul 12, 2006
    Loc:
    Schenectady, NY
    I rotated my pipe so the stickers were facing the peak. Unless you are on the roof you can't see them. It's funny what we pick up on. I was more worried about the black line of mastic showing too much.

Matt

5. BobUrban

BobUrban
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jul 24, 2010
    Loc:
    Central Michigan
    Mine are surviving their second season with no sign of deterioration on both Class A snd DBL wall stove pipe. Just rolled them to the back on the stove pipe.