Should stickers on new Selkirk chimney pipe be removed?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueMavWood

Dec 7, 2011
NYS
Hi, does anyone know if the information (make, model number, UL rating etc.) stickers located on the sides of Selkirk metal chimney pipe should be removed prior to fireing? The stickers appear to be a metalized material but they do come off easily if desired without leaving residue. Seems like good information to have there for future referance if they don't burn but I don't know if they are designed to stay there or not. Anyone know? Thanks.

There is no need to. It likely won't be hot enough to even release the glue. Sometimes the label is on the front of the pipe and is an eyesore so I remove only the ones that show. They often end up on the seam that is on the back anyway.

Stovepipe, or Class A chimney pipe? In either case, if you want to preserve the info for posterity, just take a nice clear close-up pic of the sticker...then either remove & discard it (interior stuff, maybe), or let nature take her course (exterior stuff, maybe).

I rotated my pipe so the stickers were facing the peak. Unless you are on the roof you can't see them. It's funny what we pick up on. I was more worried about the black line of mastic showing too much.

Matt

Mine are surviving their second season with no sign of deterioration on both Class A snd DBL wall stove pipe. Just rolled them to the back on the stove pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.