shoulda known better

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy S.

Feeling the Heat
Oct 28, 2013
Southeastern, PA
I was asked to make a fire last night. Rather than slog through the yard after three days of driving rain to my stacks that were surely soaked I went and bought some kiln dried supermarket stuff.

Mistake. Instant hissing, took forever to light and was a nice reminder of two years ago. Split a piece today and checked it at 26%.

They should change the sign from kiln dried to "bug free."

Reactions: D8Chumley
Most people that buy that wood are using it for their fireplace, that's how they get away with it..

I was asked to make a fire last night. Rather than slog through the yard after three days of driving rain to my stacks that were surely soaked I went and bought some kiln dried supermarket stuff.

Mistake. Instant hissing, took forever to light and was a nice reminder of two years ago. Split a piece today and checked it at 26%.

They should change the sign from kiln dried to "bug free."
Yeah sometimes we need that wake up call eh? I bet you have some nice stuff in your stacks!

I assume you have a plan to access wood when its 30 and raining/sleeting (other than the super market).

I assume you have a plan to access wood when its 30 and raining/sleeting (other than the super market).
Yep. I stage a cord on the patio and a facecord in the garage. Just haven't moved it yet.

Well, I have been burned by those firewood bundle scheisters too. I used to buy firepit wood at our local Maverik (gas stations out west), and about once every 3 times it would be green as the day it came down. It was mostly lodgepole and occasionally garnished with a chunk or 2 of juniper, but it was OK when dry. I made the mistake of buying some straight grained wood in a bundle from Albertson's once out of sheer curiosity (and the label said "long burning"), and when I got home I was laughed out of the room. Apparently I just paid 4.99 for 3/4 a cubic foot of cottonwood, and it was all gone in about 30 minutes, and my yard smelled like sour piss. Don't roast hotdogs over it, EVER.

Status
Not open for further replies.