Shoulder(cheap) vs Good Stuff(top dollar) What do you choose? :poll:

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Shoulder vs. Top shelf

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks to this forum I realized last winter that I needed to turn up my stove higher to get the heat output (seems simply but was not simply for this guy) at any rate, this has lead to to buy more of the shoulder pellets this year 4 Ton of the MWP and two ton of the Cubex. I am hoping that buy turning up the stove on the MWP that I will get the same heat output and that I will not burn more as it will be the shoulder season and I will not need to burn as long to get it up to temp. We will see how it goes, something new each year......the fun of a pellet stove.

The major question is: Is your stove heat output adaquate for the space you are heating ?

A variable that is often over looked. Not noticed until the cold sets in and they are freezin their cans off!

The cost difference between big box store and high end is ca. 25-30 USD/ton in my area - so whats the big deal ?

I too would buy all good if this was the case. I often save $50-70 or more per ton. And my stove is oversized so I can get away with the lesser priced goods. Perhaps even in the cold............

Or is the house insulated enough is the other variable....one can have the biggest stove and even over sized for the house but if the house is not insulated correctly it will still struggle to heat it.[/quote]

A variable that is often over looked. Not noticed until the cold sets in and they are freezin their cans off!

I too would buy all good if this was the case. I often save $50-70 or more per ton. And my stove is oversized so I can get away with the lesser priced goods. Perhaps even in the cold............

Cans ????, naw, their hind ends, nose, ears, and fingers. What's this heat loss calculation all about? It must be advanced calculus or finite combinatorics and not apply to little ole me.

Cans ????, naw, their hind ends, nose, ears, and fingers. What's this heat loss calculation all about? It must be advanced calculus or finite combinatorics and not apply to little ole me.

Here we though you were the brains of the group? :p

Heat loss is when you leave your pellets outside too long and the heat leaks out of em. o_O

Just kiddin folks, Doesn't really happen! ;em

Last edited:
I burn above average pellets. I don't wanna empty the ash pan once a week and I like to see the fire.

I burn above average pellets. I don't wanna empty the ash pan once a week and I like to see the fire.

Hey, something is not right didn't one LW tell us that those Harmans likely hold the record for burning without being touched in a cleaning manner and here you mention needing above average pellets so you don't have to empty out the ash once a week.

Reactions: Harman Lover 007
Hey, something is not right didn't one LW tell us that those Harmans likely hold the record for burning without being touched in a cleaning manner and here you mention needing above average pellets so you don't have to empty out the ash once a week.

Some are even calling them Harmon's Multifuelers. I'll give them a plus cause they do handle higher ash pellets better than some, But IMHO its not a multifuel unit!

If you are emptying your ash pan in that P61A every week, something is very wrong....

The pictures is what Lowes in Medford, Long Island NY is offering now. PTL are outside but look nicely wrapped. And some Green Supremes on the shelves. All for $4.38 per bag, $4.18 per bag if you buy a ton.

I have been lazy this year and have yet to buy any. Still have about 35 bags in shed from last year that I want to rotate out but right now the shed is full of spiders, weather is too humid and hot to be hauling 20 bags at a time.

I am tempted to buy from Woodpellets.com but they are pricey and I am not sure about the Cleanfire hardwoods ($279 ton) or Cleanfire Pacific (323)? Are they Quality pellets?

Attachments

• 20130901_174308.jpg
    20130901_174308.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 88
  • 20130901_174715.jpg
    20130901_174715.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 95
  • 20130901_173707.jpg
    20130901_173707.jpg
    213.2 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:
Reactions: jtakeman
this is what Lowes in Long Island NY is offering now. PTL are outside but look nicely wrapped. And some Green Supremes on the shelves. All for $4.38 per bag, $4.18 per bag if you buy a ton.

I have been lazy this year and have yet to buy any. Still have about 35 bags in shed from last year that I want to rotate out but right now the sheds is full of spiders, weather is too humid and hot to be hauling 20 bags at a time.

I am tempted to buy from Woodpellets.com but they are pricey and I am not sure about the Cleanfire hardwoods ($279 ton) or Cleanfire Pacific (323)? Are they Quality pellets?

Cleanfire hardfwoods are most likely NEWP's. Same as the Green Supremes in the boxstore. IMHO the PTL's are the best bang for the buck from the brands you posted. See Jake's post!

https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads...mpshire-new-england-area.112870/#post-1504183

Cleanfire Pacific's are a nice softwood, But too pricey @$323/ton.

If you are emptying your ash pan in that P61A every week, something is very wrong....

I'd have to agree, even burning bad pellets, 2-3 bags a day it wouldn't be close to full in a week. And even if it was, I would just stir the ashes to get a lot of the air out.

I empty once a month when I clean. I've read some posts of some people emptying once a week because of crappy pellets and the amount of ash they produce.

I empty once a month when I clean. I've read some posts of some people emptying once a week because of crappy pellets and the amount of ash they produce.
Phew....I feel better knowing that. I just couldn't see a fellow P61A owner emptying that often....

Ran a little test and went 6 weeks before the ash got to the top of the pan when I was burning Northerns.

Ran a little test and went 6 weeks before the ash got to the top of the pan when I was burning Northerns.

Since us Harman fans are off topic together... Longest I've went on decent pellets was 4 weeks, which was at least 60-80 bags. Try not to go longer for cleaning purposes.

It doesn't matter what I burn for pellets I don't come close to needing to empty my ash pan once a week.

.....didn't one LW tell us that those Harmans likely hold the record for burning without being touched in a cleaning manner.....
Who's "LW"? They obviously haven't been paying attention to the forum.

And NO, they don't hold the record. :p

I dont own a Harman. But based on what Fyrebug has told me (in there testing) and the sheer amount of adjustment that my Enerzone has, for the combustion blower and exhaust blower (Yep, it has both), add in the bottom feed, and a Huge ash pan, with a large area to fill, even after the pan is full?? I know I am gonna shoot for a new record. I know I did about 50-60 bags before touching the Quad last year. Pretty sure I could go 2 ton in this new one :) The Fahrenheit will see very little use this year :cool: Eurostar baby....

Reactions: mepellet
Status
Not open for further replies.