Shoulder Season Blah!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WOODBUTCHER

Minister of Fire
I'm just about done (and I mean done) messing around with red maple, scraps of black cherry and any other odd sized boomerang shaped piece of wood.
I will re-visit what's left in late March. I've filled the wood bin with a few splits of Sugar Maple, Black Birch and Shagbark, so let the coal bed begin.

WoodButcher

yep,ash beech and a little silver maple here.I still use the siver maple for quick A.M. recovery.

This season I didn't burn any chunkwood. I usually put the chunkwood in the shed last but it was too wet. Went straight to the good stuff.

I agree Woodbutcher. After a month of burning willow and poplar cookies, I'm ready for Oak

i have been burning up gopher wood (aspen, pine ) and odball branch pieces lately ill be glad to get the nice straight big splits of steady hardwood that actually stack and produce long hot burns

im about 2 weeks off my mark for the change over from basswood/aspen to maple/hickory. i was hoping that my crapwood supply would last till jan 1, but even if i did still have some left i would be going through it like crazy. we are officially 24/7 now, and a load of basswood gets me about 2 hours with major temp swings... but its gone now so its neither here nor there. im into the maple supply and will start mixing in the hickory next month when the temp really drops.

Hi -

Me too. I'm about done burning the 'rubbish'; annoying bends, chunks, cookies... I've got a 4 cord pile of Ash with a little oak that's 2 years old for next week and beyond. Lots less tampering with stove adjustments with proper wood.

ATB,
Mike P

I made the switch from soft and punky wood to seasoned oak, hickory and black birch this weekend. Stove temps were around 450 with the junk and now about 700 or so with the good stuff. The wood last a lot longer too. I was getting concerned the wet summer didn't dry this stuff out, but it sure burns good to me!

Status
Not open for further replies.