Shoulder Season... I has it.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BrowningBAR

Minister of Fire
Jul 22, 2008
San Tan Valley, AZ
Looks that way. The next 10 days is a variety of upper 30s to upper 50s.

Us too. Lots of rain starting today and temps going up and down like a basketball.

Maybe a little off topic, but it's been like shoulder season in our house everyday since I renovated our upstairs rooms.

It's amazing what a little extra insulation and a proper vapor barrier can do for keeping the heat in and reducing the need to keep a fire going 24 hours a day.
We live in a 30+ year old house that we bought and started renovation about 3 years ago. The upstairs has chalet style rooms that had tongue and groove wood paneling on the walls and ceiling which were insulated and looked alright, except the fools never put any kind of vapor barrier first. We previously re-roofed the house with metal roofing and at the same time added 2" of foam insulation under the metal which added to the R20 insulation that was in the rafters, but that did not solve the problem of lack of vapor barrier. Without a proper vapor barrier there was always an air leak. Tongue and groove boards are anything but air tight. We actually had an energy audit done before and after we did most of the major renovations and got a good rating on everything except the air seal of the house because of the air leak in the upstairs walls and ceiling. The air leak also created some condensation issues in the roof, with warm moist air leaking through the cracks and condensing in areas like under the metal roof around the skylight windows. This would freeze and ice up under the metal roof and when it warmed up it would melt and leak back into the house.

Enough was enough, and this winter I renovated the whole upstairs and sealed everything up with a vapor barrier and added another 1" of insulation to the walls and roof. The results have been astounding! Much warmer upstairs and no cold draft coming down the stairs. It's also clearly obvious how much less wood we have been burning and the fact we no longer find it necessary to keep a fire going during the day despite the fact that we have been having cooler temperatures lately. (-8 °C) 17 °F this morning (-10 °C) 14 °F last night.
It was a lot of work, but while doing the renovation we were able to fix some other annoying structural deficiencies in the rooms, upgrade some of the electrical, and drastically improved the look cosmetically. All for less then a couple thousand dollars in materials.
Who needs spring? :p

Yeah, I'm gettin a little blue just thinkin about woodburning season winding down. Especially since that stupid groundhog saw his shadow.....

BrowningBAR said:

How are the winds your way, they are suppose to pick up here on Friday.

Zap

zapny said:
BrowningBAR said:

How are the winds your way, they are suppose to pick up here on Friday.

Zap

Saturday the wind was brutal. Easily the worst I've seen in the 7 years I've been in this state. I'm surprised there wasn't damage to the property. Since then it has been calm to moderate. Nothing special.

This is why I ask about the wind, should be coming our way. I think this is your way.

Zap

Issued by The National Weather Service
Philadelphia, PA
Thu, Feb 24, 2011, 12:00 AM EST
... HIGH WIND WATCH REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM FRIDAY MORNING THROUGH FRIDAY EVENING...

A HIGH WIND WATCH REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM FRIDAY MORNING THROUGH FRIDAY EVENING.

* LOCATIONS... THE ENTIRE MOUNT HOLLY FORECAST AREA.

* HAZARDS... STRONG GUSTY WINDS... WHICH MAY KNOCK DOWN LARGE TREE LIMBS AS WELL AS WEAKER TREES AND POWER LINES.

* WINDS... WEST 20 TO 25 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 60 MPH AT TIMES.

* TIMING... LATE FRIDAY MORNING INTO EARLY FRIDAY EVENING.

* IMPACTS... DOWNED TREES AND TREE LIMBS COULD TAKE DOWN POWER LINES AS WELL AS DAMAGE VEHICLES PARKED UNDER THEM. WINDS WILL MAKE IT DIFFICULT TO DRIVE HIGH PROFILE VEHICLES ESPECIALLY ON BRIDGES AND OVERPASSES.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A HIGH WIND WATCH MEANS THERE IS THE POTENTIAL FOR A HAZARDOUS HIGH WIND EVENT. SUSTAINED WINDS OF AT LEAST 40 MPH... OR GUSTS OF 58 MPH OR STRONGER MAY OCCUR. CONTINUE TO MONITOR THE LATEST FORECASTS.

&&

zapny said:
This is why I ask about the wind, should be coming our way. I think this is your way.

Zap

Issued by The National Weather Service
Philadelphia, PA
Thu, Feb 24, 2011, 12:00 AM EST
... HIGH WIND WATCH REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM FRIDAY MORNING THROUGH FRIDAY EVENING...

A HIGH WIND WATCH REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM FRIDAY MORNING THROUGH FRIDAY EVENING.

* LOCATIONS... THE ENTIRE MOUNT HOLLY FORECAST AREA.

* HAZARDS... STRONG GUSTY WINDS... WHICH MAY KNOCK DOWN LARGE TREE LIMBS AS WELL AS WEAKER TREES AND POWER LINES.

* WINDS... WEST 20 TO 25 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 60 MPH AT TIMES.

* TIMING... LATE FRIDAY MORNING INTO EARLY FRIDAY EVENING.

* IMPACTS... DOWNED TREES AND TREE LIMBS COULD TAKE DOWN POWER LINES AS WELL AS DAMAGE VEHICLES PARKED UNDER THEM. WINDS WILL MAKE IT DIFFICULT TO DRIVE HIGH PROFILE VEHICLES ESPECIALLY ON BRIDGES AND OVERPASSES.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A HIGH WIND WATCH MEANS THERE IS THE POTENTIAL FOR A HAZARDOUS HIGH WIND EVENT. SUSTAINED WINDS OF AT LEAST 40 MPH... OR GUSTS OF 58 MPH OR STRONGER MAY OCCUR. CONTINUE TO MONITOR THE LATEST FORECASTS.

&&

Crap...

Yeah those winds are scheduled to come right through here on their way up to you. Along with thunderstorms.

BrowningBAR said:

Lucky you, :),
50s sounds great, snow will melt fast.
we are still getting sub zeros nights, but teens in the daytime.
Shoulder season here in 2 months.

I'm kinda looking for the slowdown with the wood burning, lets me get into other parts of the process again. I have unstacked wood to dry, logs to split and tree length to buck. I'm looking forward to that stuff too, I enjoy the whole process. :)

Our life now officially turns to chilly and muddy for a long while. To warm to burn and too cold not to.

BrotherBart said:
Our life now officially turns to chilly and muddy for a long while. To warm to burn and too cold not to.

Yeah. Unsticking my feet with every other step as I move about the property is the worst part of transitioning to warmer weather. That and muddy dog paws...

If statistics hold, we have another 3' of the white stuff to go before we get the mud.

double digits below zero here tonight... along with another half a foot of snow by morning

Mt Ski Bum said:
double digits below zero here tonight... along with another half a foot of snow by morning

OK. Ya got me. I'll take the mud. :-/

It's amazing how temps in the 30's seem so much warmer this time of year than in the Fall.

It's also amazing how cold 30 seems when you have been sitting in the 40's for a few weeks. Tonight will be in the 20's and my wife is already shivering in anticipation.

Gonna be a big mud season here. There will be no golf played in March this year and the first half of April aint looking good either. The insert shines this time of year. When it gets too hot, we just shut off the blower.

Ja, shoulder season here too. Gotta love it... single digits teetering between freezing or thawing through the day and -30°C overnight. Well, at least today they are calling for -18°C high so I can keep a nice hot fire going.

Hehheh . . . still getting a kick out of folks talking about shoulder season burning now . . . days are getting longer and there are a few warm days here and there . . . last night was great with the temps in the high 20s -- house held the heat well and there was a thick bed of coals to get the fire going . . . but we're still a few weeks out from shoulder season burning still.

Status
Not open for further replies.