Shoulder Season Wood 2012

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So how do you guys keep track of what's in your stacks for specific parts of the season?

Me? I've got poplar, oak, walnut, cherry, white pine, dogwood, and maple all stacked together. Usually, I can make a good guess at what I'm pulling out of the pile (heck, Walnut is easy), but I'm far from the point of setting aside specific species for specific parts of the season.

I made compartments in my racks so I can fit two cords in each compartment, two are filled with only oak, most are fulled with maple, ash, other assorted hardwoods and I have two, one cord racks, one that I filled with only pine/spruce.

Reactions: Realstone
I'm fortunate to have the space. I stack all my species seperate..........even the red oak from the white oak and the shagbark from the pignut. I'm going to do my own rating after the season if over.

I stack my wood so that the splits I want to burn first are in the front, but if you are good a figuring out which species it is, then no harm in mixing, though I would still try to separate the softwood from the hardwood. Running into a batch of poplar and pine, with stacks covered under snow when it's 5 degrees outside is not the best experience.

Just hang in there Joful. It is certainly tough when just starting out but then, it is still difficult for me to ID some trees and I am not a kid any more. I also used to work in the woods...

I have about 1/2 cord of pine/spruce in the front where I plan to start (late Sept./early Oct.) to last through Oct and part of Nov., on the right side of the shed.
About the same amount of soft maple on the left side in front for (hopefully) Nov. and maybe a bit of Dec., then oak until April or so, then I should run into the pine/Spruce I put farther back.
I'm sure I'll be mixing/matching to get the right mix to fit the weather.

I personally like having some pine or other softwood or poplar to burn along with my punks, chunks and uglies at the start of the season . . . oftentimes I'll start out with a pile of this "junk" wood on a pallet in the Fall and then move to the wood in the woodshed when that pile is depleted or when the snow flies.

As for IDing the wood . . . in time you learn . . . some species are easier than others to ID and some wood I just know is decent hardwood and that's good enough for my purposes.

Status
Not open for further replies.