shoulder season

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I first saw the term here. Yeah we knew what it was, just didn't know what to call it....PITA season didn't seem right cause we were grateful for the mild late mornings.

That is a good question...I've always seen it mostly used in the travel/tourism industry and termed as 'high season' (the most popular time), low season (the least popular time) and 'shoulder season' - the time between high and low seasons.

Of course this could mean different thing - high season at the beach is probably low season at the ski resorts. Low season for wood burners is during the summer, shoulder season in the fall, and high season during the winter. It will be interesting to see what those who use the term more frequently come up with!

it's when your shoulders are aching from all the last minute cutting,splitting,stacking. :)

Here's my guess:

If you chart your wood usage over the season as the number of splits used per day, it starts off slow, builds up, and tapers off. If you graphed it, it would look something like a bell curve. Think of the curve as a head with shoulders on either side, the head being the thick of winter, the shoulders being the fall and spring. There you go.

I think it is just a generic term that mean edge of something. Shoulder of the road means edge or side of the road. Shoulder season would mean the edge of the heating seasons. I think its just that simple and no other hidden meanings. Just a comon sense term

ScottF said:
I think it is just a generic term that mean edge of something. Shoulder of the road means edge or side of the road. Shoulder season would mean the edge of the heating seasons. I think its just that simple and no other hidden meanings. Just a comon sense term

Naaaa....too simple...can't be. ;-P

I think it refers too the ability to carry a days load of wood on your shoulder, verses the cold of the winter requiring a wheel barrow. Thats why I propose calling the heavy burning season "the wheel barrow season".

It's when you shrug your shoulders and ask "why not start burning"?

Adios Pantalones said:
It's called "shoulder season" because the name "Honda Clearance season" was already taken.

:lol:

In the fall, it's called shoulder season because that's when you begin to seriously contemplate shouldering the burden of heating with wood all through the winter to come. In the spring it's called shoulder season because that's when you've really become weary of it all and you just shrug and think, "It ain't all that cold anymore, why not just put on a sweater and save the wood for next year?". Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.