shrinkage?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

nola mike

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Sep 13, 2010
Richmond/Montross, Virginia
A couple of pics from last year and today. Assuming nobody's pilfering anything, but surprised how much they've shrunk.
IMG_20170213_152328.jpg
IMG_20180326_123956.jpg

takes about 2 years around my place for that much shrinkage ( no pilfering involved) Lose about a foot in height

Looks like I'm drying well then. Never paid attention to it before. So is a cord measurement based on dry or wet wood?

depends when you buy it or who you buy it from 128 cubic feet so stacked dry you get more splits than wet. I know some states its by weight, but they do have figures for dry vs wet like Oak wet cord about 8000#, dry ( 20%) about 5000#. Varies with species of course, I do not know all the ins and outs on that.

My local stuff shrinks about 18% between frshly felled live healthy green, comoared ti dried to 20% MC. That's what the local USFS guys say. Looks about right to me, ine green cord stacked, seasones and restacked is about 0.8 cords for me.

If i stack a green cord, season it, sell it, deliver and the buyer stacks it out to 0.8 cords, i better have told them in advance what to expect.

If i buy a seasoned cord and it stacks out to 0.8 i dont see having anything to complain about.

Mine gets stacked as soon as it is split.

And I try to get it split as soon as it is cut into rounds, but it doesn't always work out that way.

I’ve had stacks fall later in the year when stacking fresh split . I let it sit for 2-3 weeks now , & have less toppling of stacks . Wondering if others have the same experience?

I've had a few topple once in a while minor inconvenience - except for that 60 ft row that the 75mph gusts re-positioned .