Shutting down stove for offseason

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

teeravis1

Hearth Supporter
I cleaned out the stove and shut it down for the offseason. Last year I sealed up the intake and exhaust pipes outside and left the stove door closed for the summer and when I opened it up to go for this past winter inside had a fair amount of rust. I had left an open box of baking soda in it but it didn't seem to have helped. Today again I sealed up the exhaust and intake outside but am wondering if I leave my stove door open will it be better, would it reduce rust in the stove. My stove is in the basement but I run a dehumidifier all summer. I'm thinking with the stove door left open moisture shouldn't get trapped inside and the air movement should help prevent moisture sitting in the stove? Does anyone have any thought on this or any experience with having tried it? - Thanks

teeravis1 said:
I cleaned out the stove and shut it down for the offseason. Last year I sealed up the intake and exhaust pipes outside and left the stove door closed for the summer and when I opened it up to go for this past winter inside had a fair amount of rust. I had left an open box of baking soda in it but it didn't seem to have helped. Today again I sealed up the exhaust and intake outside but am wondering if I leave my stove door open will it be better, would it reduce rust in the stove. My stove is in the basement but I run a dehumidifier all summer. I'm thinking with the stove door left open moisture shouldn't get trapped inside and the air movement should help prevent moisture sitting in the stove? Does anyone have any thought on this or any experience with having tried it? - Thanks

Same thing happened to me, this year gonna spray inside with fogging oil and put in a tub of Damp-Rid. Keep yer stick on the ice, we're pullin' for ya

Speaking of cleaning, Here is my list of to do's I've done.

Stove cleaned top to bottom per manual=√

Remove, clean blowers and lube=√

Leaf blower tricked the vent!=√

Vent plugged and OAK diconnected=√

Stove unplugged and tagged(vent is plugged)=√

Pellets cleaned from hopper and vacuumed=√

inside of stove sprayed with rust preventor(behind the baffles this year too!)=√

I usually put the vent cap and the burnpot parts inside the hopper for safe keeping(I will misplace them if I put them anyware else). I couldn't find any damp rid so I put a few scoops of old pellets in the ash pan. This year I will keep the door ajar.

Ready for the next heating season and Lets go fishing!

I bought some silica gel in a craft store for about $8, micro wave it when it turns pink. So far so good.

moisture is in the air. Your stove is cast iron. SO it will rust.

Status
Not open for further replies.