Sierra SMOKE!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fishboy316nb316

Jan 20, 2015
Maryland
Hi folks, I am new to the forum. I have a at least 25 year old Sierra. Looks like a tec8000 hearth stove.. Has been a GREAT stove. Have found smoke escaping from what looks like the back of the stove. It is hooked to the chimney in the back. Guess I am wondering about doing a bit of gasket replacement. Never done it before but am very handy so don't think it will be an issue. Woke up this morning and found the house full of smoke. Aired the house out, Caught Holy Heck from Moma, Found that there was wood smoldering from 2 days ago(WOW). When it is blazing not usually a problem but when smoldering this happens at times. Also was wondering if there is any kind of issue with extending the chimney pipe the rest of the way up the chimney. Have some broken terracotta in the chimney. The pipe currently goes about 1/3 the way up the chimney. Any advice will be more than welcome.

Thanks Bill

Slammer install? You will need to install a stainless steal liner from stove collar to chimney cap, it is recommended that the liner is insulated. You may also want to do the flashlight test on the stove to determine if its cracked or a gasket problem.

Is the stove collar cracked in the back where chimney pipe connects?
Sounds like your draft is reversing and blowing that smoke into the house.

mello:I think that is whats happening with the draft. How do I fix that?

Kennyp: Flashlight test makes sense. Will I need to replace the pipe that's in there now? It comes out the back and goes about 1/3 to 1/2 way up the chimney? It is insulated pipe.

Thanks for the help.
Bill

Last edited by a moderator:
At 25 or 30 years i would probably replace it not just extend it.

OUCH! That was expensive 25 years ago! By taking it to the top do you think that will cut the draft problem out? I really don't want to go through that with the missus again!LOL Would of thought I had put a board over the flu!

I cant say for sure what the problem is but i am all but positive that running the liner to the top will help

Your draft reversing is common especially in basement installs, warm inside air the house causes it to reverse. Bholler has already given you good advice, I would only add that maybe adding a key damper as well might help, closing it when the stove is not in use might help when the draft reverses. I would replace the liner with 8" insulated stainless flex, top to bottom. If you get a newer insert you could install 6".

I thank you folks immensely! Think that is exactly what I will do. I really love this old stove. It has given many a BTU for my family. Will keep it and do the repairs need and run new pipe to the top of the chimney. What about a cap on the chimney, I do not currently have one. I need to re-mortar the top of the chimney so was thinking of putting a cap on it to keep the rain out. Would that effect the draft adversely?
Thanks

A potential creosote maker could clog the screen on a cap in weeks. I vote for the EPA burner with a 6" liner. I don't count on a SS liner or class A chimney for more than 20 years, when burning wood.

Spend the cheese or turn up the thermostat in my opinion

A potential creosote maker could clog the screen on a cap in weeks. I vote for the EPA burner with a 6" liner. I don't count on a SS liner or class A chimney for more than 20 years, when burning wood.
A properly burnt pre epa stove can work just fine. It will never be as efficient but they can burn clean and we have quite a few 30 year old liners out they are still doing fine but if you are going t pull it to extend it i would replace it it is definitely nearing the end of its life. We have also pulled failed liners after a few years as well it all depends on how they are used and maintained.

Some yes some no we see some really nasty chimney on old stove as well dont get me wrong but we see that sometimes on new stoves also. I am just saying that if a person knows what they are doing old stoves can work fine. But without a doubt the new stoves are easier to burn clean

Thanks again folks! Think I am just going to replace the pipe and take it all the way up. The stove works to good to stop using it. There is no heat like the heat from a woodstove! When you throw the catalyst it kicks butt! Also burns right clean at that point. Time to start pricing the stuff. Will do the work myself. Any tips you can think of will be appreciated! Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.