Signs of spring

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

begreen

Mooderator
Staff member
Hearth Supporter
Nov 18, 2005
South Puget Sound, WA
We've had a mild winter so far. Spring is starting to show some hints.

20180124_104545web.jpg 20180128_133858web.jpg 20180128_134206web.jpg 20180128_134527web.jpg

View attachment 221948 View attachment 221949 View attachment 221950 View attachment 221951
That west coast must be some easy livin'.

Here in the mid Atlantic, we're just over half way through, and March seems to be the month with the biggest snow. I burned the stove through the end of April last year.

I'm really looking forward to getting into the garden in February to do some substantial pruning of the long privet hedge.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jan Pijpelink
Pruned about 120' of privet hedge yesterday in advance of the wet weather. Took it all the way down to rejuvenate and get it to grow back more densely. Was up to about 8' since the last full cut back, about 5 years ago.

Going to try to keep it about 5' tall going forward to make pruning more practical.

Nice to be out in the garden even at 30°. As much as I enjoy the stove and burning wood to stay warm, it's nice when stuff starts growing again.

Daffodils and crocuses blooming here. First leaves starting to bud and the hummingbird population is growing.

It's 50° tonight, 20° tomorrow night. No flowers yet but it's thinking about it!

Wife and I are driving to connecticut next week to pick up a beehive (our first one!). Guess I'll have some building to do after that.... beehives and sheds!

Daffodils and crocuses blooming here. First leaves starting to bud and the hummingbird population is growing.

I snowmobiled all weekend . . .

Reactions: Dix
I was over on my woodlot doing some timberstand improvement by dropping defective and overstocked trees before they leaf out for future firewood. I was wearing snowshoes while chainsawing which adds a bit of challenge. Afterwards I was roaming the lot with my snowshoes and postholed a few times crotch deep. Normally the crust is better developed this time of year. Going to be another month before I see a lot of grass and another month before the road bans end.

We got a good chill and things have slowed down. The watercress got hammered back by frost, but hopefully will spring back. Nettles are tougher and are still growing.

We had 8" of snow Saturday night into Sunday morning. Temps were only supposed to go down to 31 before windchill. Got up at 5 AM to plow out to the road.... and there was zero snow on the pavement! It had been warm enough that it plus the intermittent rain had melted everything. I think it only actually went down to 35 too.

It was pretty crazy to go to bed watching a mknor blizzard outside, snd get up to no snow on the pavement and only a couple inches on everything else.

Back up to the 50s now!

Snowdrops and daffodils are popping up. Squirrels are chasing each other round and round the trees. Hawks are checking out the nesting site at the top of the white pines. Over 70° today and tomorrow. It's too early for all this, but it's a nice preview.

Split some red oak Sunday. Warm days (70s) Sunday, Monday, and today hit 80* !
. . . and the flies covered the fresh splits.

We had to take some blankets off the bed last night - still too hot -- temps in the 70s during the day.
I planted our veggie garden a full month early last year. I may try for even earlier this year.
The concept of a longer growing season is attractive but the rate of yearly change is kind of freaking me out.

Your photography skills are admirable BTW. I wasn't aware until I viewed full size.

Reactions: begreen
Crocuses, daffodils, tulips are popping up. The Lilacs are popping green buds, and the mountain laurels are ready to pop.

Told those puppies they better chill, but they aren't listening to me !!!

Reactions: begreen
Daffodils are in bloom and the crocuses are just about done. In spite of us now having cooler than normal temps our daphne has started blooming. You can smell its wonderful fragrance from 100 ft away.

Motorcycles are starting to come out.

There's mud . . . lots of mud.

Reactions: Dix
Motorcycles are starting to come out.

There's mud . . . lots of mud.

I can't wait to get mine out. I do admit, when it was 70 the other day I had the garage open and I started it and sat on it in the garage. Too early to ride though, still too much sand and salt on the roads.

I can't wait to get mine out. I do admit, when it was 70 the other day I had the garage open and I started it and sat on it in the garage. Too early to ride though, still too much sand and salt on the roads.

No bike here . . . I do have an ATV . . . but we have to wait quite a while before hitting the trails so as to minimize damage to landowner's property. It's often a tough battle when folks have the nice weather and the itch to ride, but we (the ATV Club) tell them to stay off the trails until the ground firms up.