silicone spray

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

forya

Feb 18, 2010
Bucks County Pa
I asked this one before, but didn't get a full answer.
My harman manual says to spray the Distribution motor and fan fins with Silicone spray.
Has anyone used This?
What have you used?

forya said:
I asked this one before, but didn't get a full answer.
My harman manual says to spray the Distribution motor and fan fins with Silicone spray.
Has anyone used This?
What have you used?

Maybe you have a new manual, but i dont reall ever seeing that in any Harman manual........just downloaded the manual online, did a word search for "silicone", and found nothing other than silicone tubing and gaskets.........some rubber seals dont get along well with the solvents used to carry the silicone, so was curious....

but, the linked Cleaning Instructions ARE NOT THE MANUAL. The link is supplemental online info, albeit from HHT, but technically, it most certainly is not the manual.

So back to the question? what would you use? has anyone used this kind of silicone spray on their fan before?

The max temp on that graphite lube it 850F is that ok for the combustion fan?

personally I would not use any kind of spray on my blowers. I just clean them when they get dirty. No need to make things more complicated than they already are.

CJ-SR4ever said:
personally I would not use any kind of spray on my blowers. I just clean them when they get dirty. No need to make things more complicated than they already are.

After cleaning mine the other day, I agree. Using a small brush on the blades, it was quick and easy to remove the thin layer of soot and ash deposits.

I can't see how it would hurt as long as the surfaces are dry and you are using pure silicone. It becomes completely dry and is electrically inert.

The best use I found for silicone spray was to slick up the interior of the hopper so that the pellets dropped more completely. The Quad 1200i hopper is large, but shallow. Over time the sides would gets slightly stickier with pellet dust and about halfway through a bag you had to coax them down the hopper. About once a month I would let it run out of fuel, vacuum out the hopper, use some fine steel wool to clean the sides, vacuum it again, then spray it down with silicone. That really helped the pellets feed smoothly for the whole bag full.

forya said:
The max temp on that graphite lube it 850F is that ok for the combustion fan?

I have used it on my comb. blower fins since spring cleaning in '10, and it works fine....no temp. problems. Less carbon/soot stuck to them, and they cleaned off much easier.

EDIT:

This was the comb blower vanes (using the graphite spray), after my 60 bag "no cleaning" test last fall.

Attachments

• blower vanes.jpg
    blower vanes.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 352
The exhaust at the combustion blower is well below the graphite lubes max temperature. Can't say the same about the particular silicone lube you are talking about. For somewhat of a clue as to the temperature rating a combustion blower will thermal off at about 475°F so you really need something that can handle that and then some.

Thanks I think I will spray it this year. I will look at the temp ratings on the silicone, and If they are not good I will go with the Graphite.

The only other caution about silicone spray is that silicone causes Environmental Stress Cracking of many plastics, which means if the plastic piece is under stress and has any 'stress risers' like cracks, holes, sharp notches, it could crack on you. Just be careful of where the spray lands. The plastic version of the vacuum switch and the plastic control box cover come to mind. Don't know if anyone has plastic blades on the convection blower.

Status
Not open for further replies.