Silver Maple?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SolarAndWood

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Feb 3, 2008
Syracuse NY
Scored a cord of this. Is it silver maple?

Attachments

• 072010 mapleleaf.jpg
    072010 mapleleaf.jpg
    265.8 KB · Views: 517
  • 072010 maplepile.jpg
    072010 maplepile.jpg
    232.4 KB · Views: 502
+1 And looks like you have the best part of it!

That must be the part that is free, bucked and 25 ft from the shed?

SolarAndWood said:
That must be the part that is free, bucked and 25 ft from the shed?

lol thats the part you want..I will use the limbs as bon-fire partys....

The tree guys always seem to be happy that I make the biggest stuff go away first. Do you bonfire the smaller stuff because it is a PIA to process or does it really put out less heat?

SolarAndWood said:
The tree guys always seem to be happy that I make the biggest stuff go away first. Do you bonfire the smaller stuff because it is a PIA to process or does it really put out less heat?

The squeze is not worth the juice....lol it will burn very fast great starter or recover wood, But with my furance its not worth the effort under 6-7 inchs. Those round you got will be good firewood.

Seasoned Silver Maple is a very fast burning wood. The small stuff will burn VERY quickly, to the point that I won't bother harvesting much of the smaller stuff. But if you need kindling - it works great.

Jags is a non believer..lol If its stright and clean I will mill it.....

Attachments

• resize milling 20.jpg
    resize milling 20.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 379
  • resize 11.jpg
    resize 11.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 393
smokinjay said:
Jags is a non believer..lol

*** Oh, I'm gonna get in trouble for this ***

So Jay, How much board ft have YOU milled with the phantom 880? :coolsmirk:

Jags said:
ss="spellchecked_word">smokinjay</SPAN> said:
Jags is a non believer..ss="spellchecked_word">lol</SPAN>

*** Oh, I'm gonna get in trouble for this ***

So Jay, How much board ft have YOU milled with the phantom 880? :ss="spellchecked_word">coolsmirk</SPAN>:

441bf so far heat a little much, but another1500bf ready to go once I get off my @ss and take the heat... Really not in a big hurry I want it all done by mid Oct and have another 1000bf to drop. In mid Oct I will need the furnace up and going for heat and that will dry it all out quicker.
The Phantom is ready 3000bf by mid OCT........Keeping that much in the shop is going to overwhelm it for sure.

Oh and will be selling it come NOV.

It looks like I've created a monster.

The top pictures look like Silver Maple thats been bucked with a phantom 880.

WB

Solar nice score, should be easy splitting with the BEAST!

zap

Thanks Zap, just about time to do some splitting. My opportunities seem to come in spurts and my staging area will be full by the end of the week. It would be nice to leave the splitting for a more pleasant time of year.

The splitting terrace holds about 4 cord before it gets unmanageable and rounds start falling the 6 or 7 feet to the lower level. The split heap is also just about full. I've been waiting for a nice streak of dry 60 degree weather to load the 8 cord into the shed I burn out of, push the heap out of the way and then do some splitting. Don't see that in the forecast any time soon though.

Status
Not open for further replies.