simple splitter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like simple design, wonder how much weight is on the end?

Simple but you'd better have some good arms on you for sure. I also see tennis elbow setting in rapidly. As for splitting speed, it might beat an axe or splitting maul on the easy to split stuff but put something up there that takes some muscle and it may not be working so well. I'll stick to the hydraulics.

btw, have you ever noticed that people usually use something like this guy's soft maple to show how easy the splitter works. Actually, all it shows is how easy that wood is to split.

Soft Maple I was going to say Poplar

That is pretty cool if you have woods full of small diameter straight stuff.

Interesting video. Probably fits his needs. I have some 20" hickory rounds I would like to see run through that splitter. :lol:

It was interesting, great idea for the simpler rounds for sure. Just as others have said, small diameter, straight grained maple (?) and a splice or two. I suppose for the simple work it would be less time comsuming.

I hate to break it to ya, but the table he was using has 1 x ? wooden legs. Why is this important?? Pressure. He is not even creating enough pressure to buckle those legs. I would guess well under a couple thousand pounds - or...wait for it....about the equivalent of a 1 or two ton splitter. Some might find that useful, but probably not many for the wood we deal with in the good ol USA.

Don't shoot the messenger - just say'in. :coolsmile:

Jags said:

Bang. That would probably split about .05% of what I bring home. Seems to work for him though.

SolarAndWood said:
Jags said:

Bang. That would probably split about .05% of what I bring home. Seems to work for him though.

+1
Great ingenuity & craftsmanship

Needs a little oiling though :)

Great conversation piece. Got us talking.
Kindling maker.
I bet it was fun to make though.

bogydave said:
Great conversation piece. Got us talking.
Kindling maker.
I bet it was fun to make though.

Now that you said that I agree, perfect for kindling.

Backwoods Savage said:
Simple but you'd better have some good arms on you for sure. I also see tennis elbow setting in rapidly. As for splitting speed, it might beat an axe or splitting maul on the easy to split stuff but put something up there that takes some muscle and it may not be working so well. I'll stick to the hydraulics.

btw, have you ever noticed that people usually use something like this guy's soft maple to show how easy the splitter works. Actually, all it shows is how easy that wood is to split.
+1

Status
Not open for further replies.