1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Simple Thread: Blaze King Princess Burn Times

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by mrmojo182, Nov 30, 2012.

1. mrmojo182

mrmojo182 Member

Loc:
    Cape Cod
    I'm looking to buy a new stove, and I'm very interested in the Blaze King Princess, mostly because of the reported long burn times. I'm in MA, and close to the water, so super heating the houses isn't a priority, its more about long, even heat for me. I'm guessing I'll be keeping the T-stat at the 1.5 mark (don't know what dot that would be on the insert) as we don't like the house too hot (upper 60's, in a single level 1600 sqft ranch).

I'm just looking for what people are getting for burn times based on: wood, sqft heated, t-stat setting, average temp in house, and where you are located.

The reason I wanted to start this thread is when I search the forum, I keep getting tons of different answers, and sometimes the threads get really off topic (only sometimes==c ). I'm trying to figure out what I can reasonably expect with this stove, as I'm hesitant to bite the bullet on the $3,000!

Thanks for your help, and I want to say that while I don't post much, I really appreciate everyone's participation in the forum, it really has helped me out a lot over the years.

Jon

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. rdust

rdust Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    A lot of variables, the insert and freestanding guys also report pretty big differences. My typical burn time on 1.5 in the warmer weather is an easy 24 hours. With temps in the high 20's/low 30's at night I'm able to burn 24 hours pretty regular. I've only had one or two days this season so far where I couldn't make it 24 hours on a load keeping the house in the 72-68 range.

I asked these same questions before I bought mine, here is that thread. http://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/...anding-users-insert-users-also-welcome.64225/

Performance thread from this year.
    http://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/2012-2013-blaze-king-performance-thread-everything-bk.93182/

Performance thread from last year, this one has some pretty detailed burn info.
    http://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/the-blaze-king-performance-thread.79511/
  3. rdust

rdust Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    This was a detailed burn from last January that I posted.

4. Todd

Todd Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Lake Wissota
    24-30 hours with a full load of Oak at 1.5 will maintain my 2200 sq ft house in the 70's when the outside temps are in the 30-50 degree range. My stove is also located in my finished basement so when it's colder I need to burn it a little hotter at #2 or a 12 hour burn to get the heat upstairs or burn my Keystone.
  5. nellraq

nellraq New Member

Loc:
    Coldstream, BC, Canada
    I am a relatively new BK owner - have been burning the Chinook 30 for just shy of a month. The ch 30 has a 2.75 cu. ft. box...the Princess has a 2.8 cu. ft. box ---so virtually the same. I read somewhere on Hearth.com that they use slightly different Tstats (can anyone confirm this?) - which actually gives the Chinook a slightly longer burn time.

+1 to all the favourable comments that rdust made above.

I burn mainly fir and larch and have no trouble getting 24 hours on 1.5 with lots of coal left for a restart. I usually rake the coals to the front after 24 hours and burn them hot for another hour or so. Stove top in this cycle: 550 +/- at the beginning to just under 300 at the end. Outside temps have been just around freezing (dipped to -5C a few nights).

The stove is in a partially finished basement ...in the process right now of framing and insulating the cold 7' concrete north wall. I am very surprised (and thrilled) at how well the Chinook has heated the upstairs -lowest temp since I got the stove was 19.5C - about 69F.

Will be interesting to see what the Chinook will do after the north wall is insulated.

Love the fact that I no longer feel like a slave to the stove ...load it, burn on Hi for awhile, turn Tstat down and forget it for 24. hours.

IMO it's hard to go wrong with a BK! It's even got a 10 year warranty on the combuster.
  6. Highbeam

Highbeam Minister of Fire

Loc:
    base of Mt. Rainier on the wet side, WA
    I have a smaller 1700 SF home, single story, built in 1963 and my climate is moderated by the puget sound. Most days, the outside temps run from 40-50. Chimney is 12-13 feet long overall, vertical pipe, and indoors. My elevation is at about 700 feet in the cascade foothills.

I burn softwoods and low density hardwoods. Most of my experience with the princess has been with overly dry (slight punk) willow and red alder. Low burn is at 1.5, easy 24 hours, house temps in the mid 70s in the stove room but right at 70 in the bedrooms.
  7. mrmojo182

mrmojo182 Member

Loc:
    Cape Cod
    Thanks everyone who responded!.

rdust, I'm also hung up on whether or not to go with the insert or the free standing unit. My set up is below. I know there has been lots of discussion between putting a freestanding in an install like this. The few prices I have been quoted, there seems to be a big different between say the princess classic vs. the insert. I'm leaning toward the free standing, but not sure.

019.JPG
  8. mrmojo182

mrmojo182 Member

Loc:
    Cape Cod
    oh, and i should say I really wanted the king, and if it would fit (which I'm pretty sure it won't) I would re-line the chimney, and get that in a heart beat!
  9. weatherguy

weatherguy Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Mass
    If its doable Id go with the freestander, you'll get more heat and longer burn times, there is a difference between the two.
    jeff_t likes this.
  10. mrmojo182

mrmojo182 Member

Loc:
    Cape Cod
    That's what I'm leaning toward, and it will fit. Its similar in size to the englander
  11. bag of hammers

bag of hammers Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern ON
    once again you guys are making me like the idea of a cat stove more and more...
  12. speyside

speyside New Member

Loc:
    kootenay
    I do not usually post on forums, however I am so impressed with my blaze king chinook I felt I had too.

Put simply - it is the best $3000 I have ever spent.

Thank you.