simpson class a double wall vs triple wall?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

greythorn3

Minister of Fire
Oct 8, 2007
Alaska
wheelordie.com
well dang it i went on hd online and ordered chimney pipe! didnt realize it tell the order was done and its not the double wall im used to, its triple wall! oh no, now if i keep it i will have to get the flat ceiling support for this pipe and remove the one i already installed. not a big deal but seems like money wasted! any advantages to this triple wall, should i just install it? i ordered 15 feet of it and the cap also!

According to Dura Vent, Plus should only be used where an air cooled chimney is needed. Personally I like double wall better. I think it does stays cleaner and has better quality components but a lot of folks here (myself included) have triple wall.

well the triple wall has a 10 inch outside diameter where the double has only 8 inch, i measured my roof flashing and i dont think the tripple wall will fit thru it, even know its simpson flashing too, the hole only measures 9 inches across! oh man. this seems like trouble.

cmonSTART said:
According to Dura Vent, Plus should only be used where an air cooled chimney is needed. Personally I like double wall better. I think it does stays cleaner and has better quality components but a lot of folks here (myself included) have triple wall.

Why does Dura Vent require a certified installer to install the 8" Dura Tech class A pipe vs the 10" Dura Plus for DIY's?

thanks
Ron

Capt Ron said:
cmonSTART said:

Why does Dura Vent require a certified installer to install the 8" Dura Tech class A pipe vs the 10" Dura Plus for DIY's?

thanks
Ron

im not sure, maybe thats why hd only sells the triple wall.. its for diy, they have same fire rating tho. clearances too.. anyhow it says online the flashing i got is for triple or double! must have to cut or stretch the hole to get that triple in. or maybe its not 10" diameter like they are saying.

I think both double or triple wall will do the trick. I like the double wall just because it is a smaller diameter.

Good luck,
Bill

Capt Ron said:
cmonSTART said:

thanks
Ron

Who knows. Someone is probably afraid of being sued. Personally I think HD sells Dura Plus because Dura Vent wouldn't sell any otherwise.

thanks for the input guys, i think im just gonna cancell the order and go with what im used to the simpson double wall..

Status
Not open for further replies.