Simpson stove pipe adapter for Quad4300

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nshif

my stove flange has the standard 3 holes in it for attachment screws. My adapter has no holes in the bottom and is U shaped ( meaning it fits on the inside and outside of the flange ) Do I need to try and locate where the holes should be on the adapter and drill them or just cement it in place?

nshif said:
my stove flange has the standard 3 holes in it for attachment screws. My adapter has no holes in the bottom and is U shaped ( meaning it fits on the inside and outside of the flange ) Do I need to try and locate where the holes should be on the adapter and drill them or just cement it in place?

I set mine in furnace cement and drilled 3 holes & screwed it.

I guess I should have mentioned this is double wall, I dont see any advantage to drilling through the outside, maybe from the inside flange out to seal the crimped portion of the pipe.

I used Dura Vent's stove adapter. it is double flanged. One flange goes inside the other outside. At least on my PE Summit that how it goes.
I put furnace cement between the stove adapters inner & outer sleeves, set on stove outlet, then drilled through outside sleeve, stove outlet and inner sleeve of adapter and used S.S. sheet metal screws long enough to go though all 3 layers.

Are you asking about fastening the adapter to stove outlet, or the double wall to the adapter?
I described the how to for the adapter to collar. To connect the double wall pipe to the adapter, all you need is s.s. pop rivets which should have come with the adapter & the double wall. Drill through the outer flange of the double wall and through the adapter flange. Then use the appropriate size s.s. pop[ rivet to fasten. You don't have to go through the inner flange of the double wall. Just outer flange to the adapter flange. Just like each section of double wall get connected together. At least thats how my double wall was connected and the right size s.s. pop rivets came with each section of pipe.

Now if your talking about the double wall to adapter to stove collar, you can drill through all the layers and again use s.s. screws to fasten them all together.
On my Summit, the adapter outer flange went over the sides of the stove collar, but the inner flange was same size at the stove collar, hence resting even on top of it.
So I fastened outer adapter flange to stove collar, and the then through the inner flange, adapter upper portion of flange and then through the inner flange to to fasten all 3 layers together. I used flaex 1st 5 ' then insulated double wall the rest of the way. Basically you'll fasten it however works best for your set up.
After in place, the weight of the pipe alone is going to keep everything on the stove. I still used furnace cement & screws to be safe.

Ahhhhh Sounds good I was just trying to align with the pre drilled holes in the stove flange. Im still a little concerned with caving in the outside wall of the adapter before its tighe enuf, about a 3/8" gap between there and the outer wall that hits the outside of the stove flange

nshif said:
Ahhhhh Sounds good I was just trying to align with the pre drilled holes in the stove flange. Im still a little concerned with caving in the outside wall of the adapter before its tighe enuf, about a 3/8" gap between there and the outer wall that hits the outside of the stove flange
take a pic if you can, easier to see what your dealing with.
I understand the outside wall is a lil larger than the stove outlet. I had the opposite problem. as long as either the inner or outer flange of the adpater protrudes into the stove outlet, you have a place to screw the outlet & at least one of the adapter flanges.
If the inside is decently tight, don't sweat it. And besides that what the furnace cement is for. Any gaps.
I know my adapter was pretty thick, it didn't crush at all.

I was talking about the adapter to the stove flange. The other side is all pre drilled (adptr to stove pipe ) Ill go take a few pics. and mine came with screws not rivits.

Your polly using stove pipe, I was using Dura liner for insert. I guess the liner comes with rivets and there is no need to take it apart easily. The pipe might be screwed instead. Yes mine had the pre made holes also.

We just pop it on there and leave it alone. Where is it going to go? It makes it easy to get off if you need to for cleaning.

Thanks jtp thats kinda what I was thinking maybe with some high temp sealant on the iside but if you dont think it will leak then Ill just let it sit there, could always seal it up later if it is a problem.

None of the DVL in our showroom is sealed and I have not heard anyone saying its leaking. Two of the wood stoves don't even have the adaptor! Just DVL slammed on top of the stove's collar. I had them at least order two adaptors last week so it can be installed properly. Trust me, they let me know about every problems out there, I'm Mr. Fixit.

Don't waste your time with the hi temp silicone inside the adapter, its only really good for around block of plate perimeters etc.
At that hot spot, it won't last very long.

Status
Not open for further replies.