Single digits aren't so bad

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SolarAndWood

Minister of Fire
Feb 3, 2008
Syracuse NY
as long as there is no wind and the sun is out. It's been blowing and snowing for a couple weeks now, so it was nice to get outside, dig another couple cord out of the snow and get it under a roof. Probably would have been a whole lot easier in November.

Attachments

• 011711 stacked in the snow.jpg
    011711 stacked in the snow.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 491
Feels colder here than the mercury indicates. But a fill of the GW b4 heading to the office - since it was single digits at the time - turned out to be a way overload!

Where exactLee in the foothills is Zap that it was 22 below last night?? :wow:

ISeeDeadBTUs said:
Feels colder here than the mercury indicates. But a fill of the GW b4 heading to the office - since it was single digits at the time - turned out to be a way overload!

I thinx were he at,,,, U cant go any further N in NY.
I had -2 last nite. Lake is almost froze over I thinx which will make 4 REALLEE cold temps here.

Zap's near Potsdam. While there is still a lot more real estate north of him, not too many NYers live north of him. It gets a whole lot colder once you get north of Watertown and away from Lake Ontario.

SolarAndWood said:
Zap's near Potsdam. While there is still a lot more real estate north of him, not too many NYers live north of him. It gets a whole lot colder once you get north of Watertown and away from Lake Ontario.

half an hour north of Lake Ontario at 5am this morning..

sorry about the metric crap ;-) sure was chilly though!!

DSC09345.jpg

How far are you from Kingston loon? My family lived there for a few years when I was a kid. Got pretty bitter when that corner of the lake froze. Everyone had plugs hanging out of the grill of their car.

15 minutes out Sydenham Rd Solar, almost to the village.

calling for freezing rain tomorrow :cheese:

It's nice up that way, we enjoyed the beach there.

ISeeDeadBTUs said:

Town of Colton, in Saranac Lake they had 23 below last night. Cold weather through mid February so dip into next years wood supply.

zap

Dayumn, Zap! I was in Placid in Sept . . . I coulda' brought my saw . . .well, 'cept it was too warm in Sept :sick:

i live bout 80 miles north of zap,but i spent alot of time in his area(grading hardwood lumber at sawmills in colton,potsdam,oswego,etc)and it alway seemed colder in ny than in ontario where i live.....

Cold and going to get much colder!

ISeeDeadBTUs said:
Dayumn, Zap! I was in Placid in Sept . . . I coulda' brought my saw . . .well, 'cept it was too warm in Sept :sick:

Next time you come up this way email and we can meet.

zap

roddy said:
i live bout 80 miles north of zap,but i spent alot of time in his area(grading hardwood lumber at sawmills in colton,potsdam,oswego,etc)and it alway seemed colder in ny than in ontario where i live.....

Back 'in the day' I used to be able to get an AWESOME radio station on AM from Gatineau while working down in Sullivan Co NY. Probably long since closed up shop.

Too cold again yesterday to work on the siding so stacked another couple cord. Row 2 of 5 is done and about 1/3 of a cord into row 3. Just had to make sure you visited your drink often enough that the top of it didn't freeze. As it was, there were frozen rings in the cup from every time you set it down.

Attachments

• 012310 stan stacking.jpg
    012310 stan stacking.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 239
  • 012310 heap.jpg
    012310 heap.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 238
Wow....I got mine set up where I just back the tractor into the shop close the door and unload.

It's gonna' B 30 °F here tomorrow!! I am gonna' sweat like a pig in the woods :shut:

smokinjay said:
Wow....I got mine set up where I just back the tractor into the shop close the door and unload.

That is next year's burn. This year's burn is right outside the door. 8 cord within 20 ft of the stove.

I want to get to a system like yours though. If I can get far enough and can get a spot set up with enough airflow, I shouldn't have to stack at all.

ISeeDeadBTUs said:
It's gonna' B 30 °F here tomorrow!! I am gonna' sweat like a pig in the woods :shut:

It would be nice if we got he 20s and 30s on the weekend, I have a lot of siding to get done. :coolsmirk:

SolarAndWood said:
smokinjay said:

That is next year's burn. This year's burn is right outside the door. 8 cord within 20 ft of the stove.

I want to get to a system like yours though. If I can get far enough and can get a spot set up with enough airflow, I shouldn't have to stack at all.

I have a slab 10 feet away 20x20. Also back the trailer right to the racks. Pricless in this weather. 40 degrees here this thursday.

It was -23º in Saratoga Springs at 6:30 AM. Wife's car wouldn't start, so I got up and put the charger/starter on it for about 5 minutes and she was good to go. Temp was 63º inside, in spite of the 4 AM refill that I said I wasn't going to do. Might have dipped below 60º if I didn't. There is just so much a heater in the basement can do when it gets this cold.

I'm not complaining, though. Saranac Lake in the Adirondacks (one of the most persistently cold areas in the lower 48) was a bone-numbing -37ºF at 6 AM, and even at 8:45 AM, it was still at -34º when I looked on Weather Underground.

You guys in the Catskills are getting it.

We had - 7 this morning in NNJ. And I agree, it's not so bad as long as the wind isn't blowing. I felt -37 once in WY and I really couldn't feel that much of a difference. It was a dry cold. Tip of your nose would get cold.

Snow's coming!

Status
Not open for further replies.