1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Single wall pipe temps at 400 Deg stove top temp.

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by Seasoned Oak, Nov 8, 2013.

1. Seasoned Oak

Seasoned Oak Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Eastern Central PA
    While running the stove tonight(Country Hearth 2000) i happened to put my hand on the flue pipe above the stove and was surprised that it was cool enough that i could keep my hand there indefinitely.So the pipe must have been what,150 Deg? I glanced at the stove top temp gauge and it read 400F. I will be proceeding to check my other stoves to see if i can hold onto the flue pipe with a 400 Deg stove top temp. Next up will be the englander NC-30.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Double-wall pipe? Late in the burn?
    PapaDave likes this.
  3. Seasoned Oak

Loc:
    Eastern Central PA
    Single wall ,as stated in the title. Im wondering if this is common with other stoves. And does it reflect overall efficiency.
  4. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Single wall dissipates heat quickly. How high above the stove are you testing? Was this late in the burn? If not it sounds like you are running cool. Put the thermometer on the stove pipe next time and provide a reading. Is the chimney staying clean?
  5. Seasoned Oak

Loc:
    Eastern Central PA
    About 3 feet up from the stove. Yes it was late in the burn. I didnt have my IR temp gauge with me,as this stove in an apartment im renovating ,so didnt get an exact measurement of the pipe temp. Yes chimney is clean.
  6. Seasoned Oak

Loc:
    Eastern Central PA
    I had the opportunity to measure the pipe temps with the IR gun. I was way off in my guesstimate of 150 Deg 3 ft up. Pipe is actually 112 Deg with a 400 Deg.stovetop. At 150 deg i could not hold my hand on the pipe.