Singlewall without screws

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EatenByLimestone

Staff member
I've talked myself into buying a welder for some exhaust work needed on my truck. It occured to me that I could join my singlewall together for a 100% leak proof fit. Would it meet code?

Matt

I don't know about code but if you bought a Mig wire welder it would do a great job on the stove pipe and exhaust pipe.

I have both an oxy/acetylene outfit and an electric wire-feed MIG unit, and some experience with stick welding as well. I wouldn't attempt to weld single wall stovepipe sections together, for a couple of reasons. First, there's no need...if you assemble them properly (crimped ends toward the stove), and you have good draft, then even if the joints between pipe sections aren't airtight, all they're gonna do is suck air in; there should be no leakage of smoke/flue gas into the living space. Second, welding thin sheet metal is a skill I've tried, and as yet failed to master. Mostly, I just burn it away. It's pretty tricky...trickier with the diminishing thickness of the material you're trying to weld. If you can do it successfully (as many do) my hat's off to you. I burn two stoves, one has a multi-section of single wall pipe about 7' high, the other has the same about 12' high. Neither has any sort of sealant, stove cement, or anything in the joints. No problems with either installation. Rick

You can weld it, but it isn't easy. If you were going to weld it together, you'd be much better suited to TIG weld it, although we've done some MIG welding (110V Hobart) on single wall crimped single wall stove pipe. You'd have a better chance welding up the heat-fab single wall pipe because of the increased thickness.

As has been said, it definitely isn't worth the trouble.

I picked up a MIG. I have to find some scrap metal somewhere to practice on. I had some old stove pipe, and all I've done is burn through it as you guys mentioned. Too bad we just cleaned out my neighbor's garage. I bet I could find plenty in my Father's or Grandfather's garage or basement....

Matt

What MIG welder did you purchase? Hopefully you're at least welding with shielding gas and solid wire. You don't have a fighting chance trying to MIG weld single wall pipe with flux cored wire.

Um, what if you need to take the pipe out, apart, or replace a section?
Sounds like your trying to build a better mouse trap to me. If it was feasible to be done, it would be done more.

It's a flux core.

I only have 3 pieces of pipe. I was trying to build a better mouse trap for sure. But when has "worked just fine" ever stopped somebody on the board?
:lol:

Mostly I want to do a competent job on the truck exhaust so I was playing with the scrap metal I had.

Matt

I've tried welding thin gauge with my mig using gas and solid wire. Results were not great. Body shop guys weld sheet metal all the time. How do they do it ? :-S

Same as all welding, Practice, practice, practice. Get some metal, maybe a good welding book and go to it. The more you do the better you become. Much safer than learning to use a chainsaw which most of us have done. Practice and patience.

Yes, becoming a good welder is ALL about patience and practice. Sticking two pieces of metal together is relatively easy, but running a consistent and attractive bead takes lots o'practice. MIG welding is a good intro to welding because it's easier to pick up, compared to TIG or stick welding. Sheet metal isn't that difficult either, but the thickness is what makes it hard. Well, that, and trying to use flux cored MIG wire on thin stuff. That'll make life a little more difficult.

Real men use stick welders.
Tig & Mig are for wussies ;)
UGG UGG UGG

Hogwildz said:
Real men use stick welders.
Tig & Mig are for wussies ;)
UGG UGG UGG

Cut my teeth on stick welding in HS metal shop in the mid-'60's. Really enjoyed it, learned enough so that when our journeyman machinist teacher was promoted to counselor, and our dipsh*t JV football coach came in to take over temporarily, I taught him how to weld. Long time ago. I guess I've turned into a wuss...I love my little 120v. Lincoln MIG outfit, can be used with flux core, or hook up the gas and use solid wire. Got a stitch welding doodad I put in it for doing sheet metal, but haven't had the need to learn to use it proficiently yet. Rick

agreed with hogwildz
nothing better than that shower of fire from that overhead pipe joint (stick)
although i have grown pretty fond of the tig
guess i'm getting tired of getting burned............
ya might be able to get that welded
recomend .023 wire with co2 shield gas

I have a neighbor who took it to the next level and used well casing (welded of course) Inspections became a little troublesome so he opted to forgo brushing and just light it of with a half-and-half mixture of gasoline and used motor oil. They cancelled his insurance. Last time I talked to him he told me about his plan to weld in "lifetime guaranteed" sparkplugs. I told him maybe he should just stick with making trivets....

J.T. Black Goose

In our home when we bought it was a 30-year old Lopi M530. Great old stove, we used it for a few months before we got the new Liberty installed across the room. The old M530 has been cold all through the winter, and is in the way of a planned kitchen remodel this year. It was installed with what looks like 8" diameter 1/4" wall thickness well casing...about a 14' vertical run up to the peak of the vaulted ceiling, with two 45's for an offset. All welded together, of course. I figure the stovepipe weighs nearly as much as the stove. Very soon now, we're gonna have to figure out just how we're going to get that installation out of the house without hurting somebody. Interesting challenge. Rick

Own our old non EPA stove we had single wall without screws...after a few burns it's almost impossible to take apart anyway.

I asked about putting screws into it but the guy said don't cause the screws would become an anchor point for creosote. I was a newby back then and just followed the advice of the subject matter experts that sold me the stove. With the right angle I don't think it totaled 6ft.

I don't know if that would meet any code, but I surely would NOT do that. Think of if like this what if your welds fail from the constant cycling of the pipes expanding and contracting. Then you have a chimney fire or some other thing that pops a pipe loose while the stove is still burning. Your or especially your wife and children's lives are not worth that. Screws seem to be the standard for joining single wall pipes.

Where I work we weld as thin as .004 thick SS sheet metal . It's a little tricky, but not impossible.

-Mike

savageactor7 said:
Own our old non EPA stove we had single wall without screws...after a few burns it's almost impossible to take apart anyway.

I asked about putting screws into it but the guy said don't cause the screws would become an anchor point for creosote. I was a newby back then and just followed the advice of the subject matter experts that sold me the stove. With the right angle I don't think it totaled 6ft.

Expert: Ex = the unknown factor, spert = a drip under pressure.

One good backpuff and that dude's theory is toast. Be glad you're not in a high earthquake zone.

Status
Not open for further replies.